Brexiteer Nigel Farage claimed his fancy bank was persecuting him for his politics, but it turned out he couldn't maintain the minimum balance

Obligs:
F*ck the Tories Sing-Along! - YouTube

5 Likes

Oh my. If you need to have the requirements spelled out for you, it’s pretty clear that you don’t meet them.

19 Likes

IKR? Not quite one of us.

8 Likes

I think he was trying to bully Coutts into redrawing their wealth limits as Brexit has made everyone poorer. I was hoping Trump had given him a wad of dubiously sourced cash so he could get wrapped up in all that scandal but sadly it was all too mundane.

8 Likes

They where doing a roaring trade in fuck the tory’s hats on Thursday night in Liverpool, I had not resiled it had become such a big festival hat thing in Liverpool.

6 Likes

The conservatives make a point of fucking Liverpool at any and every opportunity. Sunak was recorded boasting the other year about how he had managed to divert funds from deprived areas and councils to wealthy conservative voting, white, and southern English council areas. They just voted the other day to bar councils enacting BDS (just as Israel pounds a refugee camp) explicitly because Liverpool.

Fuck the conservatives indeed.

18 Likes

That’s not specifically aimed at Liverpool, it’s anywhere that doesn’t vote tory. Bristol (for example) got fucked too, because it mostly votes Labour/remain. It’s not a North vs South thing, it’s Torys vs everyone else.

4 Likes

I had read that Liverpool was one of the two councils whose measures they were specifically aimed at. Yes it’s utterly general, but also oddly specific.

5 Likes

That’s fantabulosa to hear!!

rishi poison sunak is so thoroughly evil he’s even smug about it. fucker gives me the chills. Same with the haunted pencil whenever it opens its pie hole.

2 Likes

Just look at the fucker! He’s sooooo bland, so instantly forgettable (but leaving an unpleasant unidentifiable ‘taste’ in the memory - “What was that icky thing I just encountered but can’t seem to remember?”), so bloody mundane that the most exciting thing that will ever happen in his life is getting a milkshake flung at him. tophat-biggrin

The possibility of his idiot arse moving out of the UK to go live elsewhere is being bandied about, which would of course be one of the few recognizable so-called “brexshit benefits”!

6 Likes

Anti-Tory feeling is taken more personally here, partly because Liverpool was in a difficult enough economic place in the 1980s that serious discussions were undertaken in Thatcher’s cabinet about undertaking a deliberate process of “managed decline”. Michael Heseltine, of all people, advocated for regeneration instead and is fairly warmly thought of in Liverpool as a result. We gave him the freedom of the city a decade ago, IIRC.

The politics here is also cheerfully left-wing (and in a different way than other places that I’ve lived). So we do get the “benefit” of the usual Conservative contempt for urban places too.

5 Likes

Dude violated the cardinal rule of being a grifter: do not advocate for something that can be measurably achieved. Once he got Brexit, I’m sure his funds dried up.

5 Likes

He’s the New Management?

7 Likes

Except that allegedly the bank offers no reason for closing your account. It seems there was nothing to understand or misunderstand when his account was first closed. It happens to a lot of people on a regular basis often because some minor error has triggered an automated rule in a bank’s “we must not have dodgy customers or we’ll get fined” algorithms. Even some MPs have had accounts closed and suspect it is because they are Politically Exposed People (an actual category of customers in UK banking regs). Faridge now claims that he was not offered an alternative NatWest (they own Coutts) account until he made a fuss and says if it was for a too low balance they would have offered him an alternative as part of the original account-closing process.

All that said, it couldn’t have happened to a more deserving arsehole.

6 Likes

I think he made a bad misstep with his original approach of saying ‘they won’t tell me why they’ve closed my account because they don’t want to admit it’s because of Brexit’, because anyone who’s done any financial services mandatory training immediately went ‘Oh, that’s financial crime, that is! That’s a textbook response and they can’t tell him anything because that’d be tipping off!’.

Reddit was hilarious with people desperately trying to justify how he’s been oppressed by the woke banks and definitely not up to his eyeballs in money laundering.

7 Likes

I do feel that Coutts is posh, though. Not fancy.

4 Likes

And also Cameo videos (without properly vetting the script first):

5 Likes

Liverpool is def more like Ireland or Scotland than it is England, Its amusing to watch the anti English sentiment disappear when you speak with a scouse accent.

3 Likes

I was wondering for a while what it is about the Torys’ headwear in particular that attracted the opprobrium of the crowds.

1 Like

Hats are easyier to see in crowed than T and also easyier to singal group memebership in crowed, that you belong and stand for something.

1 Like