Bride dies at wedding, groom marries her sister instead

Originally published at: Bride dies at wedding, groom marries her sister instead | Boing Boing

3 Likes

What a convenient “arrangement.” Ugh.
No mention of what Nisha wanted to do.
I sure hope she secretly lusted after the groom and wanted to marry him.

15 Likes

“Marriage” does not mean the same thing to all peoples and cultures, regardless of how many times certain parties try to say it is so.

42 Likes

That’s some bad juju. But, happy nups to the Bride & Groom!

3 Likes

This entire thing has me icked out.

Does the woman have a last name or is that not important enough for them to mention? Another bride had a massive heart attack in March, for (their quotes here) “excessive” crying during the vidai ceremony, where she literally says goodbye to her family.

Something tells me that two brides dying during the ceremony of heart attacks leads me to believe that neither of these women had a choice in the matter, and weren’t happy about it.

10 Likes

This was my first thought at the line, “someone” suggested her. That sounds like this wasn’t Nisha’s idea.

20 Likes

Fowl Play? Murder? Weird love triangle? Or all three?

4 Likes

This is either poorly reported by the original source, or a terrible example of women-as-familial-property.

I desperately hope it’s the former but fear it is more likely the latter.

35 Likes

Or both.

5 Likes

Absolutely! But the differences between arranged and forced has become more clear, and is very important to understand even within norms.

Problem with this story is we are missing that detail.

7 Likes

I say roll with the punches, but this is pushing it pretty far.

9 Likes

I’m glad to see that none of that wonderful catered food or that lovely cake was wasted. What a festive reception it must have been.

8 Likes

I’d go for weird and very unfortunate for all concerned. The combination of shock, two families deciding to have two grieving strangers marry, along with the fact that the death, wedding, and funeral will be linked in their memories… @MarcoE said it best - ugh.

13 Likes

Yeah but, being coerced into marrying your recently dead sister’s fiancee, while dead sister is in the next room, is fucked up no matter what “culture” you come from.

25 Likes

Agreed. If the marriage is primarily about cementing a connection between families, then this seems like a reasonable step. Each family has vetted the other and found them acceptable, so why not perform a marriage? It was never really about the individuals in question.

4 Likes

3 Likes

And the meninists are moaning, why?

Sounds like the sister had no say in this, if true it’s pretty egregious

2 Likes

There’s probably tragedies within tragedies within tragedies. My understanding is that the social conventions for weddings are often such that they are so expensive that the family of the bride is often left bankrupt, which drives female infanticide. I don’t think that this is a situation where the groom said “I paid for a woman, so give me a woman.” but probably something a lot more complex. The whole system is so opaque, though, it is best not to judge without a better explanation.

10 Likes

Were there birds in that story? Must’ve missed them.

2 Likes