Brilliant Star Trek vs. Star Wars trick in the New York Times crossword puzzle

Originally published at: Brilliant Star Trek vs. Star Wars trick in the New York Times crossword puzzle | Boing Boing

14 Likes

I love how you need to use the Star Wars version of the clue for 71 down if you answer StarTrek for 70 across.

25 Likes

Exactly! This right here is word art. Fabulous!

11 Likes

Impressive. Most impressive.

8 Likes

Talk about brain flexing…

skinned-deep-688f9b0b-3b00-4b42-b007-669325b06fc-resize-750

1 Like

They’ve done this before–Nov 6, 1996.

20 Likes

Very cool. I would inevitably not solve the horizontal clue until I had already solved a mishmash of the vertical clues resulting in a complete unintelligible mess and me screaming at Will Shortz and throwing my phone.

5 Likes

This was a stumper for me, I already got “do/or/do/not/there/is/no/try”, “rebel/alliance”, and “starwars” and was staring at “mrsp…” trying to remember all obscure Star Wars characters who could fit.

I started doing crosswords over christmas, and am shocked at how much fun the authors have with the rules. For instance, a solution can contain a “rebus” where you put a full word in a slot instead of a letter, that fried my brain.

1 Like

Yes! It’s a nice tweak to the SW fans. I’m trying to amend the puzzle to make a similar clue that went the other way: A ST phrase that points to SW.

1 Like

People got so enraged at that puzzle…and yes, on BOTH SIDES

It was the rare time where BOTH SIDES was true

3 Likes

The people who chose Star Wars also have to choose “It’s a wrap!”

3 Likes

Beware clues that have a question mark.
It will inevitably be a bad pun.

1 Like

Do all English language crosswords look like that? In Finnish and Swedish they usually look like this:

4 Likes

How do you play this? Do the words bend or does a two-word phrase go around the corners? Are the drawings always there, or is this one just colorfully decorated? Are the drawings the clues?

This is so cool. I wish there was an English language version in this style so I could give it a go.

3 Likes

Words go horizontally or vertically. Coloured squares are longer phrases arrows are spaces.

Are the drawings always there, or is this one just colorfully decorated? Are the drawings the clues?

Words and drawings are clues.

2 Likes

Thanks! Could you tell me the name of this type of puzzle, either in Swedish or Finnish? When I Google “Scandinavian Crossword Puzzle,” I just get Scandinavian answers to clues for English-style puzzles.

2 Likes

It’s called arroword or arrowword. In Finnish it’s sanaristikko (word lattice)= crossword puzzle.

1 Like

If you find regular crossword puzzles too easy, try doing them using only the down (or across) clues. I started doing only the down clues on the New Yorker puzzles, and they became much more challenging.

(Someone will understand this reference, I’ll bet)

3 Likes

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

Man, I miss regular HSR updates…

3 Likes