Bristol newspaper publishes names and photos of local men calling for violence against Greta Thunberg

I’ve noticed a thing where people conflate being a social outcast with being a person who has alienated others nearest them through their behavior. I think it’s an insidious excuse for self pity but that’s just me. Trump is not a social outcast, he’s a man who gets to act with complete disregard for others. If people respect that because it’s what they aspire to be then they are assholes whether they have friends or not imo.

11 Likes

I wouldn’t have posted it without the philosophy of math class reference.

Well, I’d like to think I’d have the restraint, anyway.

2 Likes

Just as an aside here, these guys are against Greta, and presumably her message. What does that make them for? Are these guys pro-pollution? Am I creating a false dichotomy here? I can’t understand what these guys are advocating, aside from violence against children.

3 Likes

They’re for staying willfully blind.

5 Likes

I just aspire to higher gladness levels, I guess. :wink:

3 Likes

The article did not post links to any places where

The usual suspects are already outraged by this free speech about their free speech.

I, for one, might have derived some schadenfreude from seeing their pathetic protestations, along with some rebuttals.

Anonymous would be good.

The emotion matter because we are a species that makes decisions based on stories rather than some innate sense of truth. This is especially important when their is a well funded disinformation campaign with a large media budget. Dry truth will lose a battle that requires collective action to well packaged lies every time.

2 Likes

Name one.

My response was in follow up to a comment about Donald Trump & Boris Johnson, so will those two count as one? It was meant sarcastically, but I guess I shouldn’t have assumed that was obvious.

Is it implausible for people to be for pollution? Rolling coal folks obviously are, and there’s going to be a lot more like them that aren’t quite willing to wreck their vehicles for the cause. Pollution goes with industry, especially unregulated industry, and that goes with wealth that we all know trickles down to everyone. I have heard carbon called a life-giving gas so many times, even though carbon dioxide is toxic enough to kill you in a minute if you don’t keep expelling it, and neither property would have anything to do with global warming one way or another.

Honestly, most people I hear talk about this seem to be very pro-pollution, if you use basically any other words to describe the position.

7 Likes

The thing about trying to find something they are “pro” about is that it implies they have some care or concern for others in any way as a motivation. I think it’s pure loss aversion. Basically the way I see it they are
not really pro anything, they’re just scared. Probably mostly because the oil industry has successfully marketed fud to them.

4 Likes

The personal attacks and changing the subject are the point of bashing Thunberg. If we spend our energy defending/attacking this kid then we aren’t making the necessary changes to save our species.

This allows the profiteers to continue stocking their lifeboats with whatever they think will get them through.

2 Likes

“Some of them threatened Thunberg, who is 17 years old, or called for others to harm her.”

Outing the names and faces? I have absolutely ZERO fuck problems with that; got a problem with my opinion? Talk to the finger.

3 Likes

And by pain, they mean their pain.

3 Likes

At least we reported on her visit freely in the UK.

12 Likes

Yes, they both were born into power and social standing. They are by definition, old money (and doing their best to loose it all in one generation). Yet, they are universally shunned by their old money peers. Name any A-lister that cared $0.02 about Trump before he came into power. Trump was a laughing stock by actual CEO’s. What social circles did Boris run in prior to becoming mayor?

Thus, IMO, they are both outcast from their own peer-groups. They needed to contorted themselves into caricatures of what common people think rich people are to find any respect at all. Donald’s most ambitious wish is to be respected by people he respects. Instead, he will take what we can get from the rubes he has no respect for, but will use to find his way into power.

Sounds about right. So far the effect of that decal has been as follows:

1. Thunberg got to demonstrate that she is preternaturally awesome. Again.
  2. Canadians lost another measure of their support for tar sands.

The pain is theirs.

3 Likes

An energy company lights itself on fire. Go figure!

I’m sorry, but the fact that one is president of the US, and the other is the British PM says otherwise. Boris meets with a literally Queen once a week! He’s in charge of the “old money” party in the UK, the party of Thatcher and Churchill!

And Trump is president of the US. If the old guard had wanted someone else, they would have made sure he did not get this far.

8 Likes