Britain's nastiest landlord refuses to rent to Asians and survivors of domestic violence

I think you mean “late stage capitalist”

5 Likes

http://imgur.com/u4wGqZH

3 Likes

We make wat every few weeks. This process starts with cooking down 6 or 8 onions. I never thought it smelled particularly bad (it’s the smell of victory), but it will linger in the house for at least a week (and in one’s hair; also in any clothes, jackets, etc. that aren’t put away behind a closed door). I came up with the idea of putting the onions in a slow cooker, and then placing that outside until the onions are finished. Hopefully, in the fresh outdoors, the odor is somewhat diluted by the time it reaches another house – I’m sure the neighbors have noticed but no one ever said anything.

5 Likes

My mom will sometimes cook stuff that is smelly. Fish, stuff that requires lots of hot oil for frying, etc, so my mom tries not to cook something super smelly often. While she waits for the house to air out she also will boil a small pot with some sticks of cinnamon. The cinnamon will cut through most of the smells, by the time the cinnamon is no longer perceptible the house should be back to normal :slight_smile: works better than lighting candles, febreeze, etc.

7 Likes

If he doesn’t also refuse to rent to smokers and pet owners, then his curry excuse is bullshit. I used to smoke, and if you think the odor of curry lingers, try the odor of cigarettes. Sometimes, even new carpet and new paint doesn’t get rid of that.

12 Likes

We’ve found that baking something will (sometimes) help with the odor.

Also:[quote=“Grey_Devil, post:25, topic:101111”]
smelly. Fish
[/quote]

Sorry but I rarely pass up an opportunity to make this reference:

4 Likes

If I started a curry restaurant, this would be the slogan.

10 Likes

I used to work in a company that employed a lot of Southeast Asians in the factory. There was kitchen signage about food smells, but it was clearly only aimed at the Asians. The white people could and did get away with just about anything.

1 Like

That’s why i think that regulating food smells as a nuisance is a slippery slope. I understand that certain smells are persistent, but enforcing such a thing inevitably leads to prejudice against certain cultures.

The alternative? I don’t know. trying to have an honest dialogue and reminding people about food smells in the workplace or in living spaces. Would be tiresome to do but i think i’d prefer this over anything else, as long as the rules apply equally to everyone.

4 Likes

How in the hell can he tell where it’s even coming from? My research concludes that the entire UK smells like curry…

In the UK, we spend over £250 million a year on Indian food and is home to around 9,000 curry houses and restaurants.
National Curry Week 2018 - What's the most popular curry and hottest dish

6 Likes

Some people like to use food smell as an excuse to validate preconceived notions of other classes or cultures. When i worked retail i had many co-workers complain that Indian people smelled funny and that they hated having to deal with them 1 on 1. I always nodded and stayed quiet about it but i found it pretty offensive.

They smelled like what they were cooking at home. Ok. So what?. Is it all that bad? I don’t think so.

5 Likes

Oh for sure, I was just snarking :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Slumlords like this ass are the lowest form of human

1 Like

6 Likes

Fuck yeah, get the crackers.

Lol i’ve never had Limburger, i’m very curious how bad the smell really is because i like stinky cheeses.

5 Likes

Limburger is a cheese that originated during the 19th century in the historical Duchy of Limburg, which is now divided between Belgium, Germany, and Netherlands. The cheese is especially known for its strong smell caused by the bacterium Brevibacterium linens.[1]

This is Brevibacterium linens, the same one found on human skin that is partially responsible for body odor and particularly foot odor.

4 Likes

Ditto. Please keep me informed if you ever do.

1 Like

So… future Prime Minister then?

3 Likes

And the pale ale! :beer:

5 Likes

Sounds perfectly fine to me :smiley: nom nom. Some day i shall encounter this beast of a cheese!

1 Like

13 Likes