Britain's nastiest landlord refuses to rent to Asians and survivors of domestic violence

The smell of cooking fish drives my gag reflex right up to the edge, which made most every dinner of my childhood an experience fraught with danger as I was raised by true New Englanders.

Thankfully I’m married to a vegan and no longer have to deal with cooking-fish-stank, but also I possess advanced stealth gag dispersion, and that skill has come in handy quite often in my life.

2 Likes

This is apparently the traditional serving style:

One of the most traditional ways of eating limburger is the limburger sandwich. After three months, when the cheese has ripened, it becomes spreadable. The cheese is often spread thick (more than 0.5 cm or 0.2 inch) on firm-textured 100% rye bread, with a large, thick slice of onion, and is typically served with strong black coffee or lager beer. Alternatively, for heartier eaters, chunks or slices of the cheese up to 1.5 cm (0.6 inch) thick can be cut off the block and placed in the sandwich. This sandwich still remains very popular among the descendants of German immigrants in the Midwestern United States, such as Cincinnati, and German Village in Columbus, Ohio. However, it is markedly less popular among the descendants born after about 1960, mainly because of the permeating smell, and the inconvenience of going to specialty cheese and sausage shops to obtain it. In Wisconsin, the Limburger sandwich can be found on menus at certain restaurants, accompanied by brown mustard.[4]

Limburger and its characteristic odor are a frequent butt of jokes. Reactions to, and misinterpretations of, the smell of Limburger cheese were gags used in numerous Little Rascals and Three Stooges comedy shorts. Also, the arch-enemy of the Biker Mice from Mars has the name Lawrence Limburger, complete with terrible body odor.

In 2006, a study showing that the malaria mosquito (Anopheles gambiae) is attracted equally to the smell of Limburger and to the smell of human feet earned the Ig Nobel Prize in the area of biology.[5][6] The results of the study were published in the medical journal The Lancet on 9 November 1996.

3 Likes

Kindly put the recipes over here, please!

3 Likes

Get some Hakarl or Lutevisk while you’re at it.

4 Likes

This sounds awesome

3 Likes

The area i was raised at was next to the ocean so i have a definite fondness for fish and seafood in general. Fishy smells and flavors don’t bother me at all but i’m keenly aware it’s something the average person dislikes.

2 Likes

It could’ve been worse. I grew up in Ohio, so my mother was limited by her attitudes toward the local seafood. When we moved to Boston tho? Boy howdy. Every. Night.

I keep it under wraps tho, not gonna impose on anyone’s fish pleasure. I put Italian dressing on mac n cheese, I am in no position to judge anyone else’s food.

1 Like

Hm. I don’t know about italian dressing on mac n cheese. But then again i rather like sharp cheddar in pb&j sammiches so there’s that.

2 Likes

That[quote=“LearnedCoward, post:45, topic:101111, full:true”]
Hakarl
[/quote]

is the food of my nightmares

2 Likes

Well, the Scandinavians are screwed for a start. All those fermented fish products. Ick. Most people don’t find the scent of garam masala or five spice powder offensive (my neighbors haven’t complained) but I assure you, it takes one single whiff of surströmming before all cultural tolerance goes right out the door.

4 Likes

If you wanna compare food smells, my friend at university worked at a popular burrito joint next to campus, cooking ground beef every single workday. It drove her to becoming vegetarian.
She kept her work clothes out on the screened-in porch, because you couldn’t get the smell out, no matter how often you washed them.

5 Likes

I worked at McDonalds as a teenager. It wasn’t just the clothes; after a shift, your skin stank of McGrease. You could feel the oil coming out of your pores.

9 Likes

A nearby restaurant has something on their menu called “stinky tofu.” I haven’t yet screwed up my courage to try it, but a name like that, that’s a double-dog dare…

2 Likes

Some place in Seattle named a sandwich after Jim Woodring (using his recipe): peanut butter and yellow mustard.

2 Likes

Named after Luther Vandross, who denied ever having eaten one.

This was invented in Decatur GA at Mulligan’s, who also invented this:

3 Likes

Stinky tofu is probably a food I will pass on trying. I’ve seen people try it on travel shows. I’m good

1 Like

3 Likes

One can only imagine the culinary delights he favours​…

4 Likes

I agree, and as someone sensitive to noise, can sympathize, however, I think the solutions are infrastructural. Just as apartments shouldn’t be allowed to be built with paper thin walls, and hollow wooden floors (concrete or bust) apartments should also come with proper ventilation. Every NYC apartment I’ve lives in has had a shitty built-in microwave-bottom filter fan, and more than a few haven’t had windows in the kitchen. all apartments need shaft-ventilation with a light vaccuum pressure to exhaust on the roof.

5 Likes

It sounds to me like he still has the ideology of a mid 70’s skinhead.

1 Like