Britain's nastiest landlord refuses to rent to Asians and survivors of domestic violence

We lived above an Indian couple for two years. Super nice couple. Had dinner and coffee a few times with them.

Our apartment constantly smelled like curry. CONSTANTLY. I used to love Indian food, can’t stand the smell of it since then.

I’m guessing potted meat and boiled potatoes.

1 Like

My solution for curing or avoiding smelly rooms: http://www.kilz.com

Best example from my life: Friend was repainting his dad’s studio. Nicotine stains from 40+ years of smoking kept seeping through regular ol’ eggshell. One coat of Kilz stopped it & the room didn’t smell like smoker’s breath anymore. The wall color went on great after, too.

7 Likes

Glad you stopped reading there. One sentence later was:

Translation: Heil Hitler.

2 Likes

Sadly, He’s got an awful lot of competition for the title of “nastiest Landlord”

Basically, for most of the last 100 years, the UK has been a rentier society. Rent gathering has been promoted at the expense of industry (and well above labour) by generations of governments.

4 Likes

This competition is truly a race to the bottom

There’s also Trump and his dad being horrible landlords…

2 Likes

I think H. H. Holmes might have been the world’s nastiest landlord

3 Likes

Thread killer. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yep, that killed it (no pun intended).

What did you expect, lively borderline racist debate about how to get the smell of curry out of a murder castle?

3 Likes

Just an aside, really, but most rental properties here in the UK are non-smoking as part of the contract.

1 Like

Other than a small mention near the top of the thread, we’re 86 posts into a discussion about discrimination against two groups of people listed in the title, with not much concern for the OTHER group.

Is it because we all agree there’s no justification to be made for refusing housing to victims of domestic violence? That one example quoted by @Dire didn’t seem to spark any outrage, or even notice. The landlord is claiming that violent crime victims are unable to pay rent on their own – like children? people with diminished mental capacity? – and thus need a financial guarantor to sign a rental agreement. That’s a whole different level of bigotry there.

9 Likes

Well, if you’re gonna get punched in the face, we’re not gonna rent to you. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get blood out of carpet? You have to rip up the floorboards and everything!

2 Likes

Well Domestic Abuse is a preexisting condition. According to republicans anyway.

2 Likes

Thank you for pointing that out.

Although I like to think of myself as highly attuned to injustice, as a cis-dude I realize that sometimes I whiff on this stuff, and that I still need to do the work to recognize the sub-conscious patriarchal mechanics that manifest in these situations.

So, sincerely, thank you.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.