Britain's Prime Minister fined for breaking his own Covid lockdown law

And entirely coincidentally the leaks about Rishi Sunak’s green card and his wife’s tax arrangements occurred shortly before the Met’s intention was announced. That is Rishi Sunak who was riding high in popularity among Tories following Covid.

But it must just be chance.

6 Likes

Not since late last year -

3 Likes

At this point in time the only way that Boris gets replaced is if there is a viable alternative in the Tory party and there isn’t. It’s the classic dictator playbook, make sure there isn’t anyone who can replace you so that you can cling onto power.

This sleazy PM will continue to remain for sometime yet.

5 Likes

To be fair politicians lie to parliament without consequences every day in constitutional democracies too. I can think of several absolute screaming porkers from our current government. One of the politicians (then the Taoiseach/PM) is subject to a criminal investigation and had his phone taken off him by the Gardaí over a year ago but I expect him to walk away from that.

4 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

In the UK, the only way to get rid of a sitting PM is through an internal vote of confidence, i.e., if enough Tory MPs decide they no longer want Boris in charge, out he goes. The actual process is a bit more complicated but that is the gist of it.

According to opinion polls, there are now fewer Brits who think Boris should resign than there used to be earlier (before the war in Ukraine when the “Partygate” scandal was the #1 topic in the media), so there’s a good chance he will be able to wait this out. Whether individual Tory MPs call for his resignation has more to do with their own popularity in their constituencies than with any moral outrage or respect for the rules that they might be feeling personally, so if they think that kicking Boris out will make them look bad to their voters, or even worse, trigger an early general election with Labour leading the polls, they will sit tight and do nothing. OTOH, if enough Tory MPs decide – presumably based on angry letters and phone calls from their constituents – that Boris is a liability after all, there could be a moving van in front of 10 Downing Street very quickly indeed.

The main argument for not getting rid of Boris just now, according to his supporters, seems to be that it would be inadvisable to change PMs in the middle of a war. This is obvious BS because the UK has changed PMs during virtually every single war in which the UK was actively involved (i.e., with its military fighting someone, not just supporting one side or another indirectly from the sidelines), from the Crimean war in the mid-19th century through WWI and WWII all the way to the Afghanistan war of the 2000s. For example, Asquith was replaced by Lloyd George in 1916 while the Battle of the Somme was going on, which in terms of casualties was the most costly engagement the UK ever fought. Exactly who is prime minister of the UK will likely make very little difference to who wins the war in Ukraine.

6 Likes

Fifty quid? The fine was just fifty fucking quid!?

touhou 14 table flip GIF

8 Likes

How much do you think they spent investigating it? Wait, nevermind, I don’t want to know…

5 Likes

Contrast that with this:

Though in the end I think she won.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.