British curry restaurants say the Tories betrayed them on Brexit

I get criticised here from time to time for saying things that were possibly misunderstood, but unless someone has simply selectively quoted and passed over the text that would counter their argument, I don’t feel able to tell people not to infer things.
I’m afraid some of the posts in this thread are coming over quite unpleasantly to me. Actual anti-Semitism on BB is so rare that it hardly ever tickles my sensors, but I’m finding some of these posts uncomfortable to read. Really I think people should not generalise about “Indians”.

5 Likes

Indeed. People who deliberately get into bed with hateful right-wing snakes don’t get sympathy when they’re bitten.

5 Likes

Agreed. Totally. Apologies for any sloppy ‘shorthand’ on my part (time tight, at work, fingers hurt, etc.) (Ref ‘Indian’ or other related terms, but anti-Semitism?)

Exactly. So let’s call them out on their “shortage of skills” bullshit (my original post) and ask them pointedly about working conditions.

I’ve lived on Boundary Estate too. We were 4 guys each having our own room in a flatshare. The floors were paper-thin so we worked out that above us each bedroom had a separate nuclear family living in it, making it a household of approximately 10 - 16 people in a flat the same size as ours.

You could argue that this was a good thing as they still were better off than if they (or their parents) had stayed in Bangladesh, but to me that’s too simplistic.

4 Likes

Fuck them. Immigrants voting on closing the door on other immigrants they don’t like, while taking away my right to free movement.

Fuck. Them.

8 Likes

That triggered me too: skilled worker != works odd hours.

1 Like

I’m sorry, they seriously thought that the swivel-eyed right-wing nutjobs who engineered the whole Brexit debacle were in favour of more immigration from South Asia?

AHAH! HAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

*wipes eyes*

That would be sweet if it wasn’t so tragic.

15 Likes
6 Likes

Heh … Brexit is a source of endless schadenfreude for me. And it’s going to get even better as the whole thing gathers momentum like an avalanche.

2 Likes

I don’t know what you are implying but at least in the US, there are tons of Indian women accountants, pharmacists, doctors and lawyers.

Accounting and Legal work having some of the highest % growth of minority women than most fields. My guess is that there are far fewer Indian women cooking much at home and just ordering takeout?

Maybe this is my ignorance showing but do you really need to be a “skilled chef” to make curry dishes? I mean hundreds of millions of South Asians can make curry dishes just fine in their home kitchens.

3 Likes

You have to have some chops to keep a professional kitchen right-side-up no matter what you’re cooking. That shit is hard.

12 Likes

Exactly my point. I was objecting to the stereotyping of Indian women as spending time at home cooking. They are one of the most upwardly mobile social groups in the UK.

6 Likes

Really, jumping into bed with white, racist, isolationist bigots hasn’t resulted in relaxed standards for qualified non-white foreign workers? Color me surprised… :-/ I have to say that the betrayal was entirely foreseeable, and that any immigrant based-businesses that supported brexit were unforgivably foolish. A total own goal.

6 Likes

Seems more like they mean cheap adequately skilled workers who will work long hours.

5 Likes

Do you seriously believe a government propped up by closet racists would ever do a free-movement agreement with Southern-Asian countries?

Can I interest you in my catalogue of bridges for sale?

2 Likes

Let me check if I have sympathy for these jackholes…

Nope nothing here…let me keep looking, might take a bit.

3 Likes

Absolutely, I wasn’t trying to downplay the executive aspects of running a restaurant or kitchen. But that’s also not exclusive to curry joints. The restaurant business is a strange and brutal one.

2 Likes

More or less my point. The thing is, Davis, Fox and Co. obviously thought they would. They still subscribe to the “Foreigners are stupid and if you talk to them loudly they do what you want” school of negotiation. But the Indian price for a deal would be pretty free movement. Brexit; out of the European frying pan, into the multicultural fire.

2 Likes