British island seeking new pub manager and monarch

Originally published at: British island seeking new pub manager and monarch | Boing Boing

7 Likes

This might not work out so well.

22 Likes

We don’t really know how that worked out. Maybe they had a bumper crop the next year.

17 Likes

Do you need an actual ship to be shipwrecked?

7 Likes

Please, just "Papasan’, no King/Lord/Your Worship will be necessary for the next round of drinkies.

9 Likes

This was also my first thought on arrival in this thread, nicely done.

I watched The Wicker Man for the first time this year and absolutely loved it, and in a modern context (with how awful police and some religious figures have shown themselves to be) it holds up amazingly well, imo.

3 Likes

I would absolutely love a job and life like that. However, my wife would divorce me and my kids would never visit.

1 Like

Finally, I get royal consorts - as befits me.

9 Likes

Did the news report leave out the part where a watery tart throws a sword me?

10 Likes

Why yes, I can start tomorrow, as a matter of fact.

ETA: Is it bad that what sold me was the warning about isolation?

8 Likes

The kind of person who wants this is the last person who should be chosen. Just saying.

game of thrones yes GIF by Sky

4 Likes

I don’t know… sounds kind of idyllic, actually.

Maybe that’s just because of… well, you know… all that waves hand at world

9 Likes

“Come out to the coast, we’ll get together, have a few laughs…”

Bruce Willis GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

7 Likes

alan rickman wtf GIF by Sky

RIP, Sheriff Hans Metatron Snape…

9 Likes

I spent a couple of days nearby in Ulverston once; possibly the most boring spot in the UK, but that’s what I needed at the time. When the tide is low you can walk across Morecambe Bay from Walney to Pier Island. I didn’t do it, as the pub was closed (either because it was November or because of Thatcher’s economy).

I understand that a truckloads of money were spent in the region in the 90s and 2000s and now it is a popular tourist destination. When I was there there was one small interesting museum in Ulverston dedicated to Laurel and Hardy, a slightly bigger and duller one in Barrow on shipmaking, a ruined abbey, some empty golf courses, and that’s it.

1 Like

10 Likes

I guess my main concern would be… how’s the internet connection?

3 Likes

I saw this post’s headline before I’d checked the morning news, and I legit thought that Boris had resigned and Brenda had popped her clogs.

1 Like

i want to go there 30 rock GIF

4 Likes

I have either good or bad news for you.

The island apparently has no electricity so I suspect internet is off the table unless you go for mobile internet of some sort.

Coverage there is apparently great though which is hardly surprising since its right off the coast.

3 Likes