British man catches absolutely massive goldfish

Originally published at: British man catches absolutely massive goldfish | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Anyone else have the first thought it was a little kid’s pet?

12 Likes

There used to be a small shoal of goldfish maybe half the size of that one for a couple of years downriver of the local (non-nuclear) power plant.
But then again goldfish are just carp with bling.
Possibly the oldest pet humans bred just for show and not to be somehow useful and/or food.

10 Likes

I’m fishing for likes right now.

5 Likes

i always thought that the rule of thumb that if you keep feeding them, they keep growing, was a myth. but i had no idea it was actually true. didn’t watch the video – anyone know how old this fish must’ve been?

7 Likes

Carp also do not die of old age, only through calamity.

(Source: The Last Coin but also the other works of James Blaylock to a lesser degree)

3 Likes

It also has to do with giving them room to grow. I know goldfish can get up to a foot in just a couple years if conditions are good. Though strictly this one is actually a koi…goldfish are related but don’t have barbels.

I imagine being at the top end of size this is probably near the high end of age too, which is usually about 4 or 5 decades. They’re fish that deserve a lot more respect than you tend to see.

4 Likes

open them up and count the rings

5 Likes

no need to “open it up”. just need to read the “rings” in the scales.

9 Likes

My dad has some pretty big gold fish in his little pond in the back yard.

2 Likes

My dad had some smallish carp in his back garden “pool”. The heron was very grateful.

4 Likes

Poor Goldfish.

2 Likes

My dad had to put a net over his when a heron fond his “fish in a barrel”.

Basically that is what my dad has, like a 4 foot in diameter plastic tub type pond. Not sure how deep it is, but they can survive the winter at the bottom with ice at the top.

3 Likes

mum’s dear friend and neighbor back in Pasco had a koi pond.
had…
the raccoons ate the small ones and the heron and egrets got the others.
she keeps the pond with lillies and other plants, but no more fishies.

3 Likes

I thought it was just lobsters
exercising spongebob squarepants GIF

4 Likes

I’ll bite.

3 Likes

Did you watch the video? He let the fish go.

2 Likes

I’m a softy; I can’t help but sympathize with the fish, who is minding their own business, until someone hooks them through their mouth and drags them out in to the air.

1 Like

I’m a cynic. Catch-and-release because finding a big enough toilet for a proper funeral would be ridiculous. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.