British Prime Minister "scrapes mould off jam and eats what's underneath"

Ha, I’ve used this as a justification for eating bread in which there are both good and moldy slices. My logic being that if it’s safe to eat right up until there is visible mold (which I’m not qualified to say, just assuming in basis of observed behavior across a large swath of humanity) then that invisible level must be safe. You never hear of anyone running to the ER from not visibly moldy bread. OTOH, if small amounts ingested rather than breathed affect the brain, then obviously that would make me reconsider.

1 Like

He swears he didn’t…

3 Likes

Stilton, chap, Stilton. After Brexit, you can forget about your Roquefort.

5 Likes

She’s also diabetic, apparently, so really shouldn’t be eating jam to begin with… not that it makes the story untrue, really. Insisting that reality alter to fit her needs is kind of her thing.

Yeah, molds are producing mycotoxins (the bit you don’t actually want to eat) which will permeate anything sufficiently liquid.

2 Likes

It is I who was confusing. What I meant was that if you had a non-food-related seizure your roommate would have no idea why it happened but would know for sure it wasn’t related to expired food, because or else you would have said so.

2 Likes

Found it!

8 Likes

All else aside, this puts her decision making skills in doubt.

1 Like

Since jam is basically just flavoured sugar, I don’t get the concept of reducing the sugar levels. What’s it being filled with, more pectin?

This whole “sugar is poisonous to diabetics” thing is claptrap. With modern fast-acting stull like lispro, a Type I diabetic can surely enjoy occasional sweets - and even regularly have sugar in the coffee or jam on the toast, and adjust the mealtime bolus to remain euglycemic. (A Type II who does that sort of thing on a regular basis risks worse insulin tolerance over the long haul, but the two diseases have very different mechanisms.)

I don’t know about jams, but it’s generally regarded as safe to recover maple syrup that has moulded slightly, by skimming the visible mould and heating the remaining syrup to boiling, then discarding if any off flavour persists. (The boiling is enough to denature mycotoxins.) I’d imagine it would ruin jams, though, by denaturing the pectin. You’d be left with a runny and unusable product. Generally, few organisms will survive anything with such a high sugar content, which is why jams, syrups, and honey spoil so rarely in the first place. They’re simply too hyperosmolar.

This story is right up there with a British ministry in the First World War trying to advocate food conservation by saying that people should eat the tops as well as the stems of rhubarb. Several poisonings resulted.

2 Likes
4 Likes

With cheese you’re probably ok. The moulds on cheese tend to be of the harmless (dare I say cheesy?) kind.

2 Likes

phew… :smiley:

Well that solves the paradox

2 Likes

Glad we cleared that up!

She is a Type 1 diabetic, not a Type 2. Despite the name, the way you manage them are quite different.
As a Type 1, I can eat as much jam as the next person, it would be unhealthy but not because of the diabetes.

2 Likes

I like this bit from the Indy story:

Her advice runs in parallel to that of health experts, who suggest removing mould can make remaining food safe to eat.

No further reference or link to any such advice of course.

1 Like

Health experts also advise that adding spin can make otherwise unpalatable news easier to digest.

3 Likes

By “mould” she means EU regulations and foreigners, and by “what’s underneath” she means the lower classes. Obviously.

1 Like

So she’s going to scrape off the EU regulators before eating the poor? Sounds like the Tory platform, I guess.

5 Likes
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.