Brock Turner's actual booking photo

Crying from the crushing realization of how much shit you’re in* might.

*I’m assuming there was at least a some duration of time during which this creep was ostensibly facing the very real possibility of serious punishment.

6 Likes

Men - why we can’t have nice things. https://watchingthewheelsdad.net/2016/06/02/why-we-cant-have-nice-things-men-and-rape-culture/

6 Likes

If that’s sarcasm, I guess I should applaud you for being super subtle, but no, his life is not over. He’s surrounded by money and privilege, his life is blessed, and no one in his wealthy neighborhood will complain about his behavior. They, like his father, will engage in some not-so-subtle victim blaming. After his hiatus, he’ll enroll at another university, perhaps with a generous donation to the university foundation. Daddy might have to buy him a condo to avoid any problems getting a room elsewhere.

He’ll graduate and get a job using family connections, with none of those pesky forms the less-privileged fill out. And if he learned any lesson, it’s to blame it all on booze and promiscuity, just like his father wrote in that lovely letter.

31 Likes

Yes because he f’ing raped a passed out girl with an object in public behind a dumpster and had to be pulled off by other students. If he’d been black, they would have given him 20 years and some more charges.

28 Likes

I know right? Couldn’t we, for once, think of the rapist?

Verdicts like this do not exist in a vacuum. Campus sexual assault almost never goes to criminal proceedings, which continues to underline the fact that it is an epidemic in our country. This one did. People pay attention, and judgments set precedents and send messages. The message, in this case, is that if you are white, have money and go to an ivy league, what you did does not count the same as the same crime committed by someone without any of those privileges or opportunities. The message in this case is that this crime should be considered differently because the defendant, (who still refuses to in any way acknowledge that he did anything wrong) would be unfairly “negatively impacted” by the punishment that our society decided was a just deterrent for one of the worst things it is possible to do to another human being. The importance of the sentence has nothing to do with wrath, or a desire for vengeance. The importance lies in what it tells the future sexual predators of America, as well as the minority and impoverished communities that have a much different kind of “justice” meted out to them every day.

18 Likes

I don’t know legal standards well enough to know if the verdict was typical. But the media narrative for white criminals is basically “we can identify with this person so they deserve our empathy in deciding why they made a mistake”.

For back criminals it’s “this is a bad person that needed to be stopped”.

Vox had an interesting article on how sympathetically the media portrayed this guy as opposed to black rapists.

Even worse was the Michael Brown coverage, the NYTimes profile on Michael Brown actually was actually harsher than their profiles on serial killers.

9 Likes

Weird how his hair had cut itself and he grew a suit in between the booking photo and mugshot.

4 Likes

This is the harshest sanction that a university can impose on a student.

Couldn’t they name a disease after him or something?

9 Likes

He could leave the US. It will be difficult to get into some countries but he still has plenty of options.

Tough shit. I’m in the same boat (sans sex offender registry) for having a tiny bit of drugs sixteen years ago.

6 Likes

It’s fairly difficult to travel or emigrate when you’ve got felonies; he certainly couldn’t go any of the major first world countries unless there’s loopholes or his dad is even more loaded than I saw.

I suspect that Jannamark is most likely correct - if he can’t work, his family will take care of him.

I can’t help but feel some sympathy for (not this guy, but the category) felons in the US. My brother has a few felonies (rightfully charged) and his opportunities are pretty shit. If this guy wasn’t a rich kid, he’d basically be just as fucked as Meeps is saying, and I don’t think that’s really that far off from life in prison or the death penalty when it comes to the sort of vengeance we write laws around and I find fairly distasteful.

Certainly punishment is in order and certainly felons have done awful things to victims, but can’t we as a country figure out a way to have them end up as a net benefit to the country rather than being confused when felons continue to recur crimes?

1 Like

The one the Sheriff gave out was bullshit: probably a processing shot after his conviction.

3 Likes

Sounds a lot like the letter his dad wrote. Did you help him with that?

6 Likes

Boo-friggen-hoo.

4 Likes

And Fox News would be calling him Ba-rock.

2 Likes

But did he miss practice. What are the ramifications there?..

Worse yet, if she were a student the whole thing would have probably been swept under the rug.

7 Likes

Awww, he reminds me of a young Phil Spector…

3 Likes

The focus of complaint wasn’t that he should have a couple extra years of custodial sentence.

3 Likes

Dude didn’t seem to care about that when he raped this woman. He only thought about himself and his own physical gratification. He only thought about himself. And as others point out, his relative wealth and [ETA: white] privilege will likely insulate him from the worst of the after effects. I doubt he’ll ever really look at what he did TO ANOTHER HUMAN BEING and feel remorse.

So…

15 Likes