Bruce Springsteen sells his back catalog to Sony for half a billion dollars

A little dose of reality:

1 Like

I’m sure they will make all their money back just by licensing out Born in the USA to Republican politicians who think it’s a patriotic song to use at their facist rallies.

2 Likes

A Nobel isn’t worth what it used to be.

Something buried in that article, which is relevant to the discussion about licensing an artist’s music for advertising and political campaigns, is that Hipgnosis at least has committed to honoring the intentions of the people selling to them - at least this is what they promised Neil Young. Whether they honour that remains to be seen but at least they’ve been public about it.

Kind of. My understanding is that venue licenses exclude campaign events. So the campaign needs to negotiate their own ASCAP license. They could definitely choose not to sell one to a specific campaign. Since it comes up almost every election cycle I’m surprised artists and companies haven’t push for more control…but I haven’t followed the artist outrage through the courts and contracts. That pdf does say individual artists can opt out.

1 Like

Well that definitely puts the ASCAP end of it on the event itself. Which isn’t totally unusual.

But it still seems to be referring to an ASCAP performance/exhibition license of the same sort.

Which tend to be blanket, and involves dealing with ASCAP rather than the artist themselves or their publisher or label.

When I used do webcasting and video production work for large corporate events. That end of it was not really our job, but that licensing was often still facilitated by the venue. If we booked that (like studio for off sight) it would be passed through on our quoting.

Though rights to repost video featuring any music used was not. That was just on the client.

So again it isn’t really something an artist has control of. They not may be aware, or be able to be aware.

Which makes a lot more sense when you consider one of things these licenses cover. Is stuff like some one hooking up their personal music player and hitting shuffle for just room music.

Any given song use may not specifically be planned, or controlled. Not enough to individually licence all the music you may be “performing” or exhibiting.

2 Likes

I’ve a t-shirt that proclaims YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY GUITARS. I guess Bruce has enough axes, and has switched to YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH MONEY. I hear that’s a common attitude. ;(

I imagine it’s easier to set up a trust for one’s heirs by starting with a big pile of cash than with an amorphous cloud of abstract IP rights

and definitely easier to split it up later if the heirs don’t all get along with each other

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.