Bruce Willis has dementia

I was unaware of all that! Thanks!

5 Likes

It was the very best version of Valérian: Spatio-Temporal Agent ever made

8 Likes

I’ll add plus one for your fondness for Fifth Element and one up you in your debatable taste: Hudson Hawk is legitimately one of my top five favorite movies.

6 Likes

I still remember being seated for a meal at a Seybold Digital World conference in the 90s with an Imagineer who told me two things I will never forget. “People die on roller-coasters all the time. You just never hear about it” and “Bruce Willis’s contract required that we digitally cover up his bald spot”

I have no reason to doubt either assertion

5 Likes

It’s also shameful how he had been exploited by his handlers over the past few years appearing in an eye watering 22 films, despite his cognitive decline becoming more apparent to those that worked with him.

Worse yet, in many cases his presence in these films was only so the filmmakers could put his face on the poster despite him only having a few minutes of screen time.

(Looks like others made this point before me, but it bears repeating. It’s really terrible.)

4 Likes

When I checked his IMDB to make sure I was covering everything I cared about I was shocked to see the last two years - like as many credits as the rest of his career - or more! I hope that he and his family are reaping most of the benefits

1 Like

It had its moments.
bruce willis popsicle GIF

6 Likes

Bruce Willis never made a Batman movie

but he should have

4 Likes

Right? It’s unreal how much stuff he’s been in these past few years. Even if it’s just small parts to leverage his star power that’s still a shocking amount of work especially for an A-lister like him. Especially as many were filmed during the height of COVID-19.

The last movie I saw him in was Fortress, which … wasn’t very good at all but it was reasonably entertaining dumb and mindless action. He also had a prominent role rather than just showing up for 5 minutes so they could put him on the poster. He definitely sounded “off” in any talky scenes, with a slurred and slow delivery that was more reminiscent of Sylvester Stallone than the Bruce Willis of old. I didn’t think much of it at the time, but it makes a lot more sense in retrospect.

6 Likes

It seems likely he still had enough cognitive capacity to understand he’d have to give up acting soon and decided to do what he could to leave a little more money for his family.

6 Likes

Or just wanted to be a movie actor as long as he could, even with bit parts in B-movies, because he didn’t want to give it up.

6 Likes

Mine, too. And that was a passion project for Bruce Willis. He was always an odd choice as an action star, because he’s clearly a dork who just wants to do goofy stuff and sing (see also the return of Bruno). Which, of course, is a positive in my book.

6 Likes

I didn’t really think much of him back in the day because of his image as an action guy, but after the run of Pulp Fiction-Twelve Monkeys-Fifth Element I completely respected the guy, and eventually went back to discover that the first Die Hard was actually a good movie (unfortunately Die Hard 3 was my introduction to the franchise).

Now I’m thinking I should go back and give Moonlighting another chance.

Never apologize for that, it’s a straight up stone cold classic great movie.

10 Likes

When I first saw him on that show, he seemed like an odd choice. It was interesting to watch the transition of his role after the annoying office clown act was somewhat reduced. The best was the banter, IMO, but a lot of that did not age well and wouldn’t last long on TV today!

7 Likes

Remington Steele, all the way.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.