Brutal/primitive lamp/charging station

[Permalink]

1 Like

One disagreement: ā€œtoggle-switch (the best switch)ā€ ā€¦ No, that would be the knife switch!

5 Likes

I dunno, that block of wood for the base seems kind of effete. Couldnā€™t they find a broken cinder block?

6 Likes

Itā€™s $195? Really? Couldnā€™t you just make one yourselfā€¦ all DIY style? Also, same with any decor/furniture from anthropologie.

2 Likes

Did unfinished basements suddenly become chic? Because thatā€™s the vibe Iā€™m getting from this object.

3 Likes

Indeed, I would have thought that would be obvious to Cory. Knife switch >> toggle switch. Ideally with some arcing before it makes contact.

3 Likes

Whereā€™s the satire tagā€¦

1 Like

Yeahhh, no. Itā€™s brutally unfinished and a huge waste of space IMO, but hey, I like Lima beans and brussel sprouts, so beholders eye and whatnot.

If I did, I would sell it for $194.

1 Like

I guess I am too scared for safety. The knife switch potentially puts actual 120V electricity right there for me to carelessly brush my hand across and complete the circuit. Cheaper to just stick a fork in a socket to get the same effect. Cool thoughā€¦?

1 Like

And then youā€™d be $194 dollars richerā€¦

Yeah I have a functionally equivalent device beside my bed. It runs off a USB power source, has an LED lamp and a touch operated switch which is easy to use in the dark, as well as USB out for my kindle. It has no retro style but I kind of like living in 2014.

It looks like it needs a large steel ball bearing rolling down a ramp to flip the switch on.

2 Likes

Almost as overpriced as it is ugly.

2 Likes

I know a naked emperor who would LOVE this.

2 Likes

I know a guy who has a knife switch for the lights in his basement - he switched the whole thing over to 12V so the knife switch isnā€™t hazardous.

1 Like

Hehe, weā€™re not trying to be sensible here. Of course there are high-power high voltage manual switches designed not to arc or to short bare skin for that matter, but they are too safe to be cool.

This design is almost certainly ā€˜inspiredā€™ by a reddit /r/DIY thread from last year:

This looks like one of my more successful DIY projects. Only more polished-looking.

1 Like

I am pro-knife switch though. The ā€œcontrolā€ panel my son and I are building has a knife switch that he absolutely requires be a part of it, just boring 12V though. If we could get the arc effect without killing ourselvesā€¦

1 Like