Bryan Cranston responds to petition against Breaking Bad toys

Those were some scary plants/apes!

3 Likes

So much for honest engagement.

2 Likes

Indeed. Whether I like the show or not is irrelevant to the topic of the toys and their suitability for inclusion with childrenā€™s toys. I donā€™t trust you to not to derail the conversation with my personal feelings about the show. Nothing personal.

It is, essentially, the meat of every comment on here, ever, that isnā€™t some species of jokeā€¦

2 Likes

Yeah, but, the word ā€˜outlierā€™ was made for youā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

The most objectionable part of Toys-R-Us is the vast swath of blindingly-pink ā€œgirlsā€ toys.

6 Likes

Silly! Thatā€™s why you go to the dynamite range. For practice. Practice makes perfect, ya know.

It sells.

1 Like

So this whole shitstorm of concern is the equivalent of ā€œOMG the supermarket has beer and liquor next to the candy/ice cream aisleā€ or ā€œThe magazine rack has adult magazines at the back of the top row and comic books on the bottom shelfā€
Monkeys is amusingā€¦ (especially the naked ape version)

6 Likes

If weā€™re voting it looks like youā€™re in the minority. Which makes you wrong in a democracy.

How you can possibly be making this argument is beyond me, but you know youā€™re wrong which is why at the very start you precluded us from any ā€œconcern trollingā€ - since you had the market on that one already stitched up.

Iā€™d say your perception of the store is swayed by your relationship to it. Itā€™s a toy store. It says so right there in the name. Itā€™s not a ā€œkids and families storeā€ as youā€™d like to portray it. Thatā€™s your perception of it.

2 Likes

I mean, letā€™s talk about the real addicts and dealers in this scenario. :wink:

4 Likes

Who says action figures are for kids?

2 Likes

Really? You donā€™t think overly-impressionable 13-16 year olds watch it? Or kids even younger than that, watched it with their 20-something parents? Granted, thatā€™s a parenting issue, which, honestly, is the issue here as well. Any child young enough that a parent would be concerned about them even wanting these toys, shouldnā€™t know enough about the show to want the toys in the first place.

Iā€™d rather my kid play with Walter White then Barbie or G.I. Joe.

also people very seldom self associate with antiheroes, but in literature at least, they are a great way of exploring aspects of self and culture. at least an intelligent discussion can be had with your children, and they arenā€™t becoming victims of marketing machines designed to destroy childrenā€™s self images and churn endless product. if my child wants to read Dostoevsky and Melville and play with Walter White, more power to them, they have my full support. Iā€™d rather raise a free thinker that can buck the system if necessary, and do my best to instill them with compassion and tolerance.

Have you sampled many video games lately? Iā€™ll never understand why violence can be pumped at our children endlessly with nary a word, yet gasp drugs or nudity or sexuality are even hinted at and people shit their pants and foam at the mouth.

6 Likes

Those are definitely the wrong drugs.

8 Likes

Well, youā€™d certainly never hear Walter White whining about how math is hard.

6 Likes

ftw, sir. Eff Tee Fuckinā€™ Dubs.

2 Likes

Have you sampled many video games lately?

This bizarre celebration of violence in popular culture while shunning sexuality or drugs is a particularly American thing. Iā€™d also say it extends well outside of video games, into TV and movies. In Australia, after a certain time (I think itā€™s 9pm or 10pm), itā€™s entirely acceptable to show dicks, vaginas and pretty much anything else on TV. Also [cue angry people] GTA has done a lot to incorporate sex and drugs into gaming alongside rampant violence. Furthermore: Leisuresuit Larry. That entire game was about a guy chasing girls.

PS: Everyone is a victim of marketing.

3 Likes

yeah, i agreeā€¦and something iā€™ve never understoodā€¦but Toysā€™Rā€™Us and Breaking Bad are also 'merican, so it is relevant to the discussion at hand i think, and the primary reason for the outrage in this case.

Yes and those aspects caused quite the outrage and gave GTA the reputation that is has, despite there being many many much more violent games, which again emphasizes the odd dichotomy of violence vs drugs/sex, and is related to the outrage being discussed in this story.

Okay, now you are just showing your age. :smile: If I recall, even that game frustratingly eschewed pixel nudity, and while adult themed kept everything fairly in the alluded to category.

2 Likes