Buckingham Palace advertises for £25k communications assistant

15 years ago we lived near the Battersea Power Station. We made just under £80K combined. We had a one-bed flat in a converted council estate. My wife commuted by train to the south of London, and I bussed or walked to SoHo. We ate out a good bit, and travelled on weekends once a month using the Eurostar and Last Minute deals. We also hosted lots of family and friends who would use our place for a base for their travels, which was pretty expensive. We were not able to save really anything with that lifestyle, though.

Can’t imagine things have got cheaper since then!

5 Likes

“It’s one communications assistant, Michael. What could it cost? 25,000 pounds?”

6 Likes

It’s the Assistant to the Communications Officer, after all

4 Likes

I think (hope) that they will receive a lot of sarcastic, fake applications. And that the same person doing the photoshopping is the same person in charge of reviewing those applications.

3 Likes

Last time I was job hunting, there were so very many job openings that wanted one person to do multiple communications jobs, usually social media, graphic design, news/marketing writing, and videography, for $30K a year or less.

2 Likes

I never cease to be amazed at what an absolute pisstake the wages are for jobs with the Firm.

3 Likes

laugh cry GIF

3 Likes

Maybe it’s time to bring back the honored tradition of court jester.

2 Likes

This picture makes me think ol’ Liz is screaming at the palace staff from the afterlife saying, “£25k? That’s STILL too much money!”

1 Like

Several other jobs pay in that range. Some are merely “competitive”, meaning that it’s hardly glamorous, and thus they are obliged to pay a more sensible wage.

The furniture conservator pays more, but I doubt that conservators can fake it til they make it.

1 Like

Remember, minimum wage means they’d pay less if they could!

8 Likes

With the corgis gone perhaps they’ll convert part of the kennels for service interns…

2 Likes

They could have saved themselves 25,000 quid if they hadn’t forgotten the Royal Family Motto.

2 Likes

Nah, let’s get kick out the royal family, bring back some corgis, and let the interns work for them… And pay the interns a living wage.

9 Likes

Hey, the Royals didn’t get rich by writing a lot of cheques!

They got rich because their ancestors were chums with William the Conqueror, who let them steal as much land as they wanted, and they’ve coasted on that for nearly 1000 years. #blessed

3 Likes

The building surveyor jobs seem interesting.

3 Likes

LOL As if they’d ever even look at a minor minion such as that.

1 Like

Oh, but they may provide one with Splendid References, and a job at Buckingham Palace looks simply smashing on one’s CV, dawling.

6 Likes

For being one of the wealthiest families in the world, the UK royal family are famous for paying very low wages to their employees

I suppose this job would look nice on anybody’s CV but 25K gross is 1,793 pounds a month after taxes, in London is nowhere near enough to survive, unless lodging and sustenance are also provided

5 Likes

I did not realise the king was so poor, both in wealth and of character to pay so little for a full time roll in London…

2 Likes