Buckingham Palace advertises for £25k communications assistant

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/21/buckingham-palace-advertises-for-25k-communications-assistant.html

7 Likes

How much does one need to make a year to live in London?

9 Likes

The Palace is deeply inept at a lot of things, amazingly, the PR team is dreadful and I am amazed they do not have an in house, or at least consulting, psychological support/counselling team which would seriously head off some major F*** ups. It’s not like they can’t afford it

5 Likes

Probably at least twice what this job is paying, just to even afford the basics in a reasonably pleasant manner. It’s just £5k more than I was getting paid here 30 years ago.

12 Likes

From what I hear, £25k/annum wouldn’t cover the cost of two Pret a Manger sandwiches a week there. The palace being what it is, I doubt that catered lunches are a perk there (though maybe employees are tossed the table scraps).

6 Likes

Does it include room, board and transportation at least?

Will probably need a generous overtime provision as well.

2 Likes

And a dude with a sparkly hat full of stolen rocks can’t afford to pay a living wage to his employee?

Tracy Morgan Bullshit GIF by Team Coco

What Do You Think Amazon Studios GIF by Amazon Prime Video

9 Likes

Can they work remote?

3 Likes

I’m guessing it’s all in person and long hours with no overtime…

8 Likes

Oh dear. I was thinking that I’d want to work as far away from them as possible. The cost-of-living savings was just a plus.

6 Likes

No, no… they can’t lord their wealth and power over you at a distance!

I mean, they can, but they need to look you in the eye to get a real thrill out of it…

7 Likes

Isn’t “communications assistant” now “writer of ‘A.I.’ prompts”? (“well, plus curation for when the ‘A.I.’ goes barking”)

2 Likes

For 25k a year, you can get a seat on a London night bus.

:sob:

11 Likes

So, an intern.

7 Likes

Given the current media coverage, They appear to be getting their money’s worth at the moment.

4 Likes

…amazed they do not have an in house, or at least consulting, psychological support/counselling team which would seriously head off some major F*** ups. It’s not like they can’t afford it

It’s the ego death associated with it. The Royals cannot be told they are wrong. So anyone like a counselor wouldn’t last long, because they would sooner or later tell a Royal something they would not want to hear, or just as bad, word of a diagnosis or treatment plan would leak. Which, honestly, if a Royal is getting treatment and is in therapy for something, good. It just shows that you are a responsible adult. But in their world that is akin to admitting a flaw, which is absolutely verboten.

That’s the long, long way around of saying, “Yeah, you’re absolutely right.”

5 Likes

Jesus, both our countries need to get their fucking priorities straight…

10 Likes

I don’t really know about London, but I could probably live on that. That’s only because we live in the rural midwest, in a 120 year old house, cook food at home, and drive older paid-off cars, though.

But, like, are the looking for a regular person who has to live off their wages? Or are they really looking for a rich person who wants to cosplay at being working class, for a little extra pocket money? A.K.A. like @Akimbo_NOT said, an intern?

2 Likes

In the eye, how? Commoners should be groveling, or at least keep their head bowed!

7 Likes

I mean, sure, depending on where you are, what your circumstances are, that’s an okay living… but presumable, this is a high power job, where one is expected to live nearby, and that means living near one of the biggest tourist attractions in the UK, and that can’t be cheap.

I’d assume they’d be interested in person with a college degree in like communications or something at least… and honestly, I don’t think it matters if it’s an actual working class person, or someone who comes from wealth. Everyone should get a living wage, especially if one’s employer is literal royalty.

Now, now… this is the MODERN monarchy, that are just chums with their subje… I mean the British public! You can look them in the eye now, just… you know… not to long, and only when signaled that it’s okay…

4 Likes