Building that looks like a basket to become luxury hotel

As someone who attended college in central ohio, I must protest. It’s more than just Corn. It’s Corn AND Soybeans.

8 Likes

It’s not far from Flint Ridge and a bunch of Moundbuilder sites.
I just don’t know if the luxury set and the Native American History set overlap much.

1 Like
3 Likes

You want ants? This is how you get ants!

9 Likes

And three head shops in a downtown area the size of a city park.

2 Likes

The company was a basket case?

5 Likes

Now that we’re all in this basket, I can guess where we’re going.

The capital of Montana?

1 Like

Michigan

Home of the Helena Handbasket company

3 Likes

Missed opportunity alternate use: long-term cold storage for a fertility clinic for women who wish to retain the ability to have a child later in life, with an exclusivity clause in the contract.

You know, so they can put all their eggs in one basket.

4 Likes

Well, I know where I’m fuckin’ going for vacation!

4 Likes

Anybody suggest “lotion warehouse” yet?

2 Likes

The basket handles weigh almost 150 tons and can be heated during cold weather to prevent ice damage.

A great use of energy. /s

The company was run as a pyramid scheme.

heston2_phixr

5 Likes

It was one of the primary employers in the area near Dresden, Ohio; at its peak in 2000, it employed more than 8,200 people and had $1 billion in sales.

The article is sparse on details of the destruction, but it looks like it was acquisition and the founding family retiring. The acquisition company was itself acquired by a bigger fish, and so on, until it flopped. (But I’m sure someone got rich from the destuction.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JRJR_Networks

Meanwhile, what happened to the basket business that Longaberger is no longer supplying?

1 Like

That doesn’t mean it made crappy baskets.

I never got my mother’s (mild) obsession with them, but I’m still using the laundry basket she gave me maybe 30 years ago.
And to my knowledge it was not a pyramid scheme. They required money up front for orders so day-to-day wasn’t a problem, but in the end their creditors got access to the bank accounts and took all the cash and it folded.

1 Like

I keep my knitting and embroidery projects in the picnic basket, pattern books in the magazine basket and TV remotes in the button basket in my living room. Other baskets contain cat toys, sewing supplies and take-out menus. I loved their stuff!

The original Dresden company seems to be coming back in a small way:

I never said it did, just that it had a crappy corporate structure. (And a building that wastes energy just to radiate heat in the air through its ornamental handle.)

2 Likes