Bullhorn Lady indicted

Who knew actions had consequences?

tenor

9 Likes

Bullhorn Lady Indicted.
Good.

4 Likes

After they’re in jail, having been convicted of lesser charges, can they then be charged with, say, domestic terrorism? Or would that be double jeopardy, or something else?

2 Likes

That question is beyond my armchair lawyering. I would guess that they cannot, and that double jeopardy applies to their specific actions. It would seem unfair to be able to try you for the same act multiple times. I think you decide what crime it is, charge it, try it, and that’s it.

Otherwise, we probably wouldn’t see so many cases with murder and manslaughter both charged. But I’m not a lawyer and the law has many weird technicalities. I’m just applying some extrapolation to the experiences I’ve have with the criminal justice system.

2 Likes

8 kids? I guess we can put a checkmark next to “religiously motivated”. In the US the only white people who have that many kids are religious fundamentalists.

4 Likes

I am pretty certain that the jury pool for the federal court in the District is drawn exclusively from the population of the District of Columbia. The combined MAGAT and Libertarian vote there was 6%, so this is one jurisdiction where that’s not too much of a worry.

4 Likes

As always, I really like your work, Mark. I just wish you hadn’t made such repeated reference to Powell’s fecundity. The problem of parents in prison is a real one, and it inflicts more punishment on mothers than fathers. Sure, she could have thought of that beforehand. But the same may be said of thousands of other mothers who are in prison. Burdens fall on them unequally.

To say nothing of the kids themselves. Powell’s acts, which deserve unhesitating and severe punishment, will have effects on her blameless children that go on for years. Its unseemly to gloat over this aspect…

That’s a fair assessment but it’s still roughly 1 in 17 for a 12-person jury, and it only takes 1 to hang the jury. Obviously, I have no idea what really drove the decisions here. But I can’t fault the prosecutors for sticking with more clear cut crimes no matter how satisfying it would be to see these people all charged with terrorism or insurrection.

1 Like

I think the “kids” are her bouncing baby Federal charges. At least, I didn’t see any reference to her having kids in the article.

Still, any parent would do well to wait until their kids are grown up before engaging in criminal activities, especially ones that could send them to jail for a very long time.

Yeah, well, maybe.

They never had to pass through a metal detector and pat-down inventory at the exit. All those rugged individualists wearing tacticool, and not one of them had a concealed pistol?

It’s possible that the organized groups imposed discipline on their members, and they do have split-level thinking, where guns = armed, but ice axes, bear spray, clubs, flag poles, tasers, riot shields = fun and games. We might learn more at the trials if anyone had guns, and if not, why not.

2 Likes

It was a parallel construction: she is the mother of 8 children, and now she’s the mother of 8 charges too.

5 Likes

There was a great deal of discussion on social media before the event about how DC has laws against carrying guns, so bringing other weaponry was suggested as a way around giving the authorities an excuse to detain an insurrectionist.

3 Likes

Even the name is a give-away if it’s discoverable. From a 2008 Anonymous protest:

BlueFag1

1 Like

While it is gratifying to see the foot-soldiers being drawn into the tender mercies of the PIC, there should be far more effort being made to bring the financiers/enablers of these minions to justice.

And by ‘justice’, I mean the penalties inflicted upon the hoi-polloi for the mere suspicion of wrongdoing, to wit:
Civil Asset Forfeiture… railroading by overzealous DAs… sentencing by Hanging Judges… decades of misery in shithole prisons… etc.
Hey, what’s good for the goose… everything beyond CAF would be gravy, but why not throw the book at 'em?

1 Like

I get the mocking of this woman, I really do. She’s a devotee of the demented orange turd, probably a conspiracy theorist, etc. But taking aim at her having eight kids - even though I agree that it’s likely she has that many children because she’s a religious fundamentalist - feels sexist to me. In BB’s coverage of men charged or facing charges as a result of the attempted coup at the Capitol, is their status as fathers mentioned, let alone mocked?

2 Likes

and THEN what happens? …

1 Like

Why do you believe this Mark?

Is there an inherent difference between the children’s mother’s ability to rear their children than their mother’s?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.