Burbank airport changes name, ditches "Bob Hope"

Much funnier than the remakes. I know Tom Hanks is a great comedian, but The Road to Perdition just seemed a bit off to me, maybe because it was based on a comic book.

And what’s with the latest one? I didn’t laugh once at Viggo Mortensen.

4 Likes

It needed Dorothy Lamour in a sarong.

5 Likes

Yeah, there’s a reason why the road alongside the eastern boundary of the NBC Studio in Burbank is named after him.

But it tickles me that they’re changing the name (back) to Hollywood Burbank Airport. Up until surprisingly recently, one of the freeway signs along the 134 freeway still said “Hollywood Burbank Pasadena Airport” long after all the other signage had been changed to “Bob Hope Airport.” (Pasadena? Yes, Pasadena.)

Anyway, I support Cory’s endorsement of the airport. It’s my favorite airport, too. I always breeze through BUR like I’m O.J. Simpson circa 1978:

If I ever get famous enough for @daneel’s gracious recommendation to take root, I’d delightedly accept. I love that place.

I am reminded of Tom Robbins’ Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates in which two of the characters, both career CIA agents, habitually spit on the floor every time they mention John Foster Dulles, which really pisses off the cabbies on the way to the airport. I always feel that same urge when I have to fly into Reagan National Airport, so I try to fly into BWI when I absolutely can’t avoid flying to the DC area.

As a 3rd-generation San Diego native, I grew up calling our airport Lindbergh Field, partly because I was always driving to it and flying out of it, partly because Lindbergh Field simply has fewer syllables than San Diego Airport. And as for John Wayne Airport, I’m used to calling it that since there appear to be Orange County Airports in New York, Virginia, and Texas as well.

2 Likes

I hope they change it to “Bob Newhart”.

4 Likes

I still call the airport “Lockheed” but then I am almost as old as Bob Hope was when they named the off-ramp after him…

5 Likes

Yep. I bet it suffers considerably from the presence of teeming masses.

Just call it by its airport code: SNA, that’s what we do when we walk up to check-in because my husband hates John Wayne.

Funny story, my husband told the person at the Dallas check-in (DFW) that he was flying to The LBC, which is what Snoop and Sublime used to rap/sing about Long Beach (LGB), and she said, “Lubbock?” Oops.

1 Like

Agreed. My dad (a Kennedy democrat who worked for a few of 'em in his 40 years on the hill) refused to call it that, ever. It’ll always be DCA or National in my mind.

4 Likes

How’s that pronounced?

3 Likes

Well, it’s short for Santa Ana because the actual airport is located in SA. It’s Newport Beach-adjacent, though.

But I like snuh. :wink:

though DC is Washington Reagan.

He was from the 1930s, and the nuance of your actual correctness is lost on the politically correct. He, like your grandparents and mine, must have said something offensive to someone sometime, right?

I’m not sure I expect better from Hollywood, should we?

2 Likes

we?

Nobody but you chose to take one mans opinion so seriously, for you.

You are free to be as concerned as you like, but disappointed in BoingBoing much?

False

https://www.google.com/search?q=victor+borge

See also

5 Likes

True. I suppose Midway and O’Hare are what they are – but efforts to impose a new name via branding seem pretty doomed. “SFO” will never be anything but “San Francisco” or “SFO”

That is a shame really. Bob Hope was a great guy who actually did a lot of great things, especially for American G.I.s. Dememorializing his name is a real shame. He was a great man and still holds a place of honor in many people’s hearts. Mine included.

1 Like

Glad we put you in charge of commenting on people’s opinions.

And yes as a daily reader for many years I am disappointed - how’s that your concern?

1 Like

Really?