Burned down National Museum of Brazil rises from the ashes, thanks to Google

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/14/burned-down-national-museum-of.html

5 Likes

Dear Google,

It would be great if you could also create a virtual tour of a functional democracy so that…

TIA
Signed,
Residents in the countries still trying to rebuild what’s left of their own democracies

10 Likes

Well this is the least evil thing they’ve done for a while.

10 Likes

Nope. Fuck Google.

I… I have no connection to this museum, still, I think looking at something that has tragically been taken from us will be really painful. I’ll skip this one for now…

2 Likes

Was unable to determine from the article & video whether this “augmented reality” stuff includes the audio recordings that were lost when the linguistics and anthropology departments burned. Projects like this usually don’t handle sound well.

1 Like

My thoughts too.
I came to say :“See, Google? Doing no evil isn’t so hard after all. Try it some more. (Again).”

I always suspected the mission of capturing / documenting all the world’s knowledge was only half a sentence. The other half being: "… and ruthlessly exploit it’.

4 Likes

Nothing is permanent, not you or me, the planet, the universe. Which means we must appreciate what we have in the here and now.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.