Business schools are shuttering full-time MBA programs, citing low enrollment, millennials

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/28/b-rated-b-school.html

2 Likes

Mother bucking asshole.

giphy

7 Likes

No worries, if America ever finds itself in need of more MBAs we can just outsource those jobs to India.

9 Likes

Ah if only the hand of God had a whiteboard with which to write upon the wall. Always was impressed how the M(E)N(E) T(E)K(E)L (U)PH(A)RS(I)N was a word by word double meaning depending on which vowel was chosen (which are generally un-indicated in Semitic languages) as either a noun or a verb, so (roughly):

60shekels/numbered shekel/weighed Persians/found_wanting

sort’ve a reverse puzzle/rebus kinda. Anyway, the Persians did show finally up and found Babylon ‘wanting’.

3 Likes

Oh good! Maybe some money can be put back into the humanities programs that have been gutted?

18 Likes

That was my initial thought, then I realized that the people who would be most likely to pursue them now would be the most sociopathically ambitious C-suite wannabes and any value in the programs (such as the cited engineering crossover) would be ceded even more to the most useless up-failers.

1 Like

The idea of incurring student debt to do an MBA is ridiculous. By the time someone is contemplating an MBA, they should have worked enough to be able to afford it, or have demonstrated enough potential to get someone else to pay for it. People lining up for MBAs without significant work experience on their CVs are likely wasting their time and money. I moved from Australia to the UK to do mine in my mid 40s and it opened up opportunities and allowed me to change significantly career tracks. It was a trans-formative experience and highly worthwhile.

9 Likes

This- exactly. And this is also why the traditional, full-time MBA programs are drying up - because people either want time-compressed “Executive” MBA programs that they can knock out and continue earning faster, or they want slower online MBA programs that they can complete while they are working. In both cases, the company that the person is working for will probably pay for it in exchange for guaranteeing that they will work there for a time period afterwards.

The primary cost of a traditional MBA program is the two year’s worth of salary that you’ll loose doing it… (ETA: If you are really at the point of needing an MBA…)

9 Likes

Got an extra c in that tekel there, bub, am disappoint with the Boing Boing today. . . . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My wife has not found her MBA very helpful for the actual running of our actual business. However, the actual business has been helpful in paying off the student loans from said MBA.

I think she’s glad to have it, though, and I am very proud for her accomplishment–she earned it while working full time and bearing our two children. It’s doubly impressive when I consider that she earned her bachelor’s and MBA in the time it took me just to complete my bachelor’s. And technically, I had a one-year head start, so…

6 Likes

If everyone has an MBA, then everything is run like a business. And that ain’t how everything should run.

7 Likes

University employees may be an outlier. Universities love for their staff to have advanced degrees, because universities are full of themselves. Typically a masters’ is required to advance to director and beyond. However, these institutions usually don’t pay well and are bureaucratically limited in their ability to provide benefits.

3 Likes

I definitely do NOT see this happening at UT here in Austin. The whole damned business school is probably self funded. Even the athletic dept. pays for itself (something of a rarity in Universities).

2 Likes

Business isn’t even run like a business these days, MBAs notwithstanding. Consider Uber.

4 Likes

I try not to.

17 Likes

Interesting. Not sure about that one, but that’s just because I have no experience there.

1 Like

I have a Bachelor of Science in Finance from the early 1980’s and completed seminary in 2015. My focus is on the crap that goes on in the American Workplace. I go back-and-forth on adding an MBA to my graduate letters - it would add way more cred than seminary as far as “decision makers” are concerned (they’re fellow boomers, for the most part). But I also feel it would be a waste of time and money. Maybe one of those “Executive MBA’s?”

1 Like

It balances out with the missing one on VisiCalc.

P.S. Appropriate that the Aramaic Tekel comes to us through the Book of Daniel, as VisiCalc’s co-authors are Bob Frankston and Daniel Bricklin. If you can see the writing on the wall…

5 Likes

My personal belief is that “management” / “business administration” is a pseudoscience that has no place at institutions of higher education.

8 Likes