Buttered coffee company gets $9 million to build coffee shops

They sent me a “goodbye” letter years ago, saying that the local businesses and town were pressuring them to close, but that they were leaving the furniture store open for a few months. I suppose they may have re-opened, or it might be a different restaurant opened by others of the local Tibetan community.

1 Like

What is actually wrong with crossfit, aside from its adherents who won’t shut up about it? I’ve never done it, but based on walking by some local crossfit gyms it looks like a legit workout.

1 Like

From what I’ve learned, it’s a decent way to get into shape, and stay there, but its only real purpose is to make you good at CrossFit, so you can compete in the CrossFit games. CrossFitters could get the same health benefits, and be better prepared for a wider variety of athletic endeavors, if they gave up their stupid non-pullups in favor of actual strength training.

1 Like

Ah, but if I use it to make pancakes for a crazy little kid who is tired of striking out in little league, does it make a better batter for bitty bitter batters?

7 Likes

Mark,

Stop elevating broscience. The guy claims his diet featuring his unique branded coffee and supplements will build muscle. Like don’t work out, eat his branded goods a specific way, and you will get ripped.

Dave Asprey is one of the loudest hacks int eh business, and and small rich group of dummies feed this guy’s income.

1 Like

Not concurrently! I had to jog my memory, but the one I used to go to was called Little Tibet. They were part of a furniture/antique/rug store, which I read conflicting accounts about, with regards to if they are still in business. But from 2003 when I got to CT through 2006 they had the restaurant also, which was great.

Where Coromandel is now in Orange there was a restaurant which served decent Northeastern Indian and Nepali food. The ex and I were confused because within a couple of weeks they were bought by the Coromandel people - without originally changing the signage or decor - and specializing in South Indian food such as roti and dosa.

When I was wondering “WTF is BPC”? a few months back, I watched a few videos and interviews about it, both with and without Asprey, and I didn’t encounter any such claims. He did claim that coffee with butter and MCTs for breakfast would start a person’s fat burning process while still giving them enough sustenance. Obviously there isn’t much research to back this up, but it sounds plausible enough. But his whole franchise is based upon both some supposedly proprietary coffee roasting process and special kind of MCT oil, which sounds like pure hokum.

But no, no claims that the stuff builds muscle. Unless his spiel has gotten more desperate recently.

Anybody who wants to experiment with breakfast-coffee shakes can do so on their own for a fraction of the price of this guy’s pricey, hyped BS.

No, his claims have become more reasonable lately. I can’t find his old speeches about diet and muscle building anymore, but bulletproof executive has been around for a long time now.

Back when I was powerlifting the guy would come up every now and again and there were a few links people would immediately post about how conforming to his diet, coffeee, and (then) suppliments would gain muscle without weighlifting with before and after photos and everything.

EDIT

Nevermind, found on of them here: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/photo-abs-after-2-years-of-4500-calories-no-exercise/

Ack! Well, I couldn’t be arsed with watching more of his videos, his speed-freak hustler-bro routine grates on my nerves. It’s good he’s toned it down, I guess.

I was going to say that “supplements” would need to be steroids or hormones to build muscle with no exercise. Your link mentions testosterone injections, which I am sure aren’t included with the usual coffee.

Well there’s this about supplements: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/optimize-your-supplements/

I remember him selling this stuff himself too.

Gosh, if only there were some links to articles attacking the subject within the OP itself.

1 Like

The heavy emphasis on speed and not careful technique in working with free weights leads to exceptionally high injury rates.

Otherwise, just as good/bad as other trendy franchised fitness outlets (e.g. soul cycle etc etc)

3 Likes

I prefer people like Robb Wolf, who has repeatedly changed his mind (omega 3 dosing, ketogenic vs carbs, etc). When he changes his mind, he explains why he originally thought something, and what has happened to change his mind. Dave seems to drink his own Koolaid. Just google Robb Wolf.

Because of the propensity for pseudoscience, irresponsible trainers, and emphasis on pushing past limits. Trendy/annoying adherents are only the sprinkles on the poop sundae. I saw some results with it until my rotator cuff injury, I’d rather just pay more for a personal trainer in the future and avoid the therapy afterwards.

1 Like

I can’t speak for other women, but I would prefer not being shot over being bulletproof.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.