Buy Charles Schulz's home/studio in Sonoma County

Originally published at: Buy Charles Schulz's home/studio in Sonoma County | Boing Boing

6 Likes

MAKE ME

(I will require $4M)

2 Likes

Nice. Pond looks dodgy, though .

3 Likes

$4 million is definitely not Peanuts.

15 Likes

He didn’t need a bedroom to sleep in because his habit was to spend the night laying face up on the roof.

19 Likes

I would love to have that as my private studio. It looks like an incredibly inspiring location to work. Sadly I don’t have $4 million. I also don’t live anywhere near Sonoma County. C’est la vie.

4 Likes

I saw this the other day on a MCM group I follow. Lovely home. Fun fact, Sebastopol, CA was once quite the apple growing area. Most famously for Gravensteins, which makes the BEST apple pie.
If someone comes in there and paints that wood white, may they be haunted for the rest of their lives!

3 Likes

We are not too far south of there. The Gravenstein apple fair still happens! We used to pick fruit w the Enklings when they were but sprouts. $4M a bit steep for a 1BR 1.5BA. Our Eichler is a 4/2 w bonus and treehouse for about half that. Before you get all oooh! ahhh! the whole thing is held together by staples… I did strip the white paint off one ‘Luan Mahogany’ wall using citrus strip. Hard work.

However I highly recommend the Schulz/Peanuts museum! I love the Chuck Brown wraparound zigzag t-shirt. I have two.

2 Likes

100 GIF - 100 GIFs|400x263.75

6 Likes

No word on if, when you try to buy the house, the offer gets pulled away at the last second…

8 Likes

That’s good to know. Glad there are still some orchards that haven’t been replaced with grapes. While I do love wine, I also really appreciated those apples in the short season.
Literally have never seen one in Southern CA, but they always showed up in the stores when I lived in the Bay Area.

1 Like

Skylights are a danger? To who? Vampires? :wink:

Or just all the new potential areas for leaky seals.

2 Likes

I like the skylights, especially in the kitchen. It lightens it quite a bit with all the wood - which should stay as is, IMO.

2 Likes

If I had the cash, I’d be strongly tempted to buy it just for the bench. :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

It’s a beautiful, characterful house which sits organically in its setting as if it grew there.

3 Likes

Given the state of North Bay real estate

… ONLY four million dollars? :open_mouth:

4 Likes

I might be wrong but didn’t he move out of that property because he got divorced from his wife (that he moved to california with and had kids with) ? And wasn’t his last office in that hockey rink he built or near it? I would love to get up there and see that and the museum some time…

1 Like

Long ago in Sebastopol (called S’nasty-hole by old-timers) I would bike past the Schultz place… but I never noticed anything Peanuts-y about the house. Other local residences sported more vivid foliage, especially psychotropic plants. :sunglasses:

The Peanuts museum/gallery in Santa Rosa CA, behind a schismatic Mormon temple and cat-corner from a major shopping mall, sits next to the pro-quality ice rink Schultz funded. (We saw Olympics skaters there, cheap… subsidized by Schultz).

Then there’s the nearby county airport Schultz funded. We called it SNOOPY INTERNATIONAL. Schultz poured a lot of cash into Sonoma County facilities and causes. Good fellow!

3 Likes

I’m traumatised because I’ve never had a skylight go for more than 4 or 5 years without leaking. :sweat_smile: I took two big ones out of my current house the last time I re-reroofed and I’m glad I did it.

I also tend to think of skylights as one of the warning signs of “remuddling” in historic homes.

1 Like