CA tourists warned not to take selfies with bears

And no shooting practices at city parks.

I’ve been watching youtube documentaries, goto about 2:40.

Yup. Shooting practice at city parks “back then.”

1 Like

From John West:

2 Likes

Aww bollocks! It’s stupid laws like this we can thank for useless things like longer life expectancy and better health. Next thing you know it’ll be illegal to huff this paint that I had to go out of the city to buy. Hmph.
{/sarcasm}

Yeah, you are right, but it was just not terribly common. Back in the film days, I can count the number of “selfies” that I took on my fingers.

Back in my day, each picture cost at least $0.25, and you had to wait days to get the picture back.

1 Like

Reminds me of another Gary Larson: (less apropos than @SpunkyTWS’s)

8 Likes

Person takes selfie with bear.
Bear mauls person to death.

Unfortunately, then they tend to kill the bear. A few mass maulings would really help things if it didn’t have that unfortunate outcome.

1 Like

This story, although likely apocryphal, has been around for a very long time. Despite it likely being false, it is true that there has been a long tradition of people approaching bears and other dangerous wildlife so that they could pose with them. And despite the advent of technology and the selfie craze, I suspect that people have actually become more knowledgable and less likely to approach wildlife than they have in the past.

3 Likes

Is it bad I just naturally assumed people were that fucking stupid?
(though, as this is a thread about people taking selfies with bears…)

Hmm, is there an online link to this story of the grandmother, honey, grandchildren and Yellowstone bears?

Oh never mind, @bwv812 answered with a Snopes link.

1 Like

Well damn, another story I picked up before the mid 90s ruined by the Internet, damn you second hand anecdotal infotainment in print form. Next you will tell me that the prolific literature of Soviets secretly transplanting human heads, colonizing space/the moon, discovering $weird science, recruiting aliens/psychics/super-soldiers are also not true.

1 Like

I’ve seen a similar thing on Utah’s Antelope Island with people getting dangerously close to the free range bison to take selfies.

1 Like

Just because I love these photos.

http://www.blackbearheaven.com/polar-bear-chases-man-around-truck.htm

1 Like

When I was maybe six years old my family took a cross-country trip to Yellowstone. At one point we became stuck in traffic because a bunch of cars had pulled over so people could look at a herd of bison that had stopped to rest by the side of the road. One tourist walked into the middle of the herd and prodded a large bull with his foot to try to get it to stand up for a better picture.

This was the moment I first realized that adults could be stupider than kids.

2 Likes

Bears aren’t scary. Bears without hair, on the other hand…

fucking terrifying

3 Likes

You beat me to it. However, I believe that bears who maul or regularly threaten humans are either relocated or put down. So as much as I’m in favor of letting Teh Sutpid get a close-up selfie with the brown bear and her cubs, unfortunately the blowback affects the bear and not the idiot CA tourists.

:smiley: But it’s a nice thought isn’t it?

1 Like

Oh absolutely. I’ve seen people taking selfies with brown and black bears, elk, and even deer with huge racks. And every time I paused and waited, expecting to see some human carnage.

Hell, I’ve walked around a blind corner on various hiking trails and found myself face-to-face with an elk (now that I think about it, that’s happened three or four times with elk). And at every occasion, both of us had enough sense to immediately run the other way. Naturally, once I got 50 yards or more away, I broke out the camera. Wild animals are not to be fucked with, from the smallest raccoon on up.

1 Like

People can be such insensitive pricks.

5 Likes

this looks shopped. i can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.

4 Likes

I paused briefly when writing about the rack…somehow I knew :smile_cat:

2 Likes