Yet another Yellowstone touron gets stomped by a bison

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2023/10/25/yet-another-yellowstone-touron-gets-stomped-by-a-bison.html

5 Likes

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

16 Likes

Season 6 Starz GIF by Outlander

13 Likes

They could run an endless loop of videos like this at the park entrance and there would still be idiots trying to pet the bison like they’re domestic animals. And all for a social media post.

In Costa Rica, it’s now against the law for tourists to take photos of themselves with wild animals. I’m sure part of the reason is to dissuade tourons from getting themselves injured or maimed.

20 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text

10 Likes

You know maybe it’s a good idea to invest in city parks and walkable spaces where these people can go without becoming new Darwin Award nominees.

11 Likes

They’d do something idiotic there, too.

Not that this would be an argument against city parks and walkable spaces; I’m all for that.

10 Likes

Always appropriate

27 Likes

But at least they would be within 5 minutes of an urgent care lol

8 Likes

These idiots who go up to the wild animals like that… you know what? We need them… they are PERFECT for when the grey aliens land on our planet and we need someone brave (stupid) enough to walk up to them and say hello.

They’ll probably get stomped as usual, but better them as fodder than me.

8 Likes

Have they never seen a Bugs Bunny cartoon? It’s like getting up close and personal with a bull’s less tame cousin.

7 Likes

My theory on this phenomenon (other than some people are just stupid) is that being a tourist changes ones mindset. When you are a tourist, it’s easy to think that what you are seeing has been placed there for your own amusement. It’s a short step from there to thinking that a herd of bison is like Mickey and Minny and Goofy costumed figures at Disneyland. You can just wander amongst them and take pictures.
I’ve seen tourists take their children close to a bull elk with a harem of females so they can take a better selfie. In my own small town, I’ve seen tourists wander into the street thinking that cars are not really filled with people going to work, or trying to get home. They somehow think that the rules of physics have been suspended, or animal behavior is suddenly turned to benign. It’s a weird thing.

14 Likes

That’s when all the “smart” is in the phone.

13 Likes

I do think that people end up getting the whole “main character syndrome” where if they’re on vacation and they’re spending all this time and money they want to experience as much as they can, and any risk will be worth they payoff because they’re on vacation damn it and it’s all about them. The amount of times i’ve seen people do dangerous things for a picture while sightseeing or on vacation is impressive, and i’m glad i have enough sense to not be a nuisance.

14 Likes

That’s one school of thought. Or, and hear me out, …

9 Likes

Oh lay! (me flat on the ground)

8 Likes

29 Likes

I See You No GIF by Teddy Too Big

6 Likes

IIRC, they kill more people per year than sharks.

Sharks of the land, I call them.

Anyway, someone should make a metal band called Bison Moshpit.

4 Likes
6 Likes