This is the second time this month that a bison in Yellowstone has gored someone for getting too close

Originally published at: This is the second time this month that a bison in Yellowstone has gored someone for getting too close | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Something something, find out.

17 Likes

Might be a good idea to give those biological SUV’s a wide berth. Pretty from a distance, but no touchy.

6 Likes

I think many people also fail to appreciate just how fast these animals are.

Having seen a bull chase a fellow cyclist when I was younger, I learned a valuable lesson about giving big tempermental animals plenty of room.

5 Likes

obligs:

4 Likes

Survival of the fittest is still a thing.

3 Likes

Could you imagine if Jurassic Park was real? So, so many dead morons.

dinosaur GIF

4 Likes

The only appropriate response when you see a large wild animal in your vicinity

19 Likes

Some folks don’t seem to realize that other than their own territorial nature, they really can’t see or understand that your approach is non-threatening. Imagine if you were in the same situation as the bison and you see this strange creature come up to you and you’re not sure if they’re a threat, as a precaution you give them a bit of the horn to make them go away. That’s just how nature works, respect it.

5 Likes

Not for a lack of warnings from the Park Service.

18 Likes

Yes. Nature seems to be sorting this out just fine.

3 Likes

Having been charged by a wild Elephant that disagreed with shared road use (with an excellent driver who was knew this particular Elephants attitude and was ready to keep us well out of range).

I can’t imagine the extra stress (and pant changes) if that animal also had giant teeth, and was interested in snacking.

Add on the idiots in another trucks we saw who got out to photograph the lions :man_facepalming:, and I think the Jurassic Park movies might actually be optimistic scenarios :joy:.

3 Likes

“City folk…”

I don’t even want to get close to cows, which are usually way more docile than Bison. But they can get moody and charge, kick, or stomp you. Horses are the same way. Never walk behind a horse, for example.

I think people forget the Yellowstone animals might be more tolerant/used to people, but they are still wild animals.

3 Likes

Even the babies love to start stuff lol

8 Likes

That’s one angry bison.

Oh. They’re all angry?

If you’d shot millions of my family I’d be pissed at you too.

11 Likes

Towards the end of the video guy sprays cloud of presumably noxious gas (bear spray?) and bison carries on, saying “that all you got, huh? I don’t give a fuck!”

3 Likes

Didn’t even look bothered :joy:

Reminds me of the common Bear country joke:

How can you tell Black bear and Grizzly bear poop apart?
Black bear poop contains lots of berry seeds. Grizzly bear poop is larger, has bells in it, and smells like pepper.

5 Likes

There’s a twitter account dedicated to this idea. It’s great.

7 Likes

A healthy respect and distance from any unknown animal is necessary. Doesn’t matter if its a dog, chipmunk or a bison. One can never know how an animal will react in a situation, and animals aren’t around for our amusement either. If an animal has a good handler and they OK the interaction that’s different.

10 Likes

“Your mom’s gonna f*ing kill me!”

Truer words were never spoken.

10 Likes