Woman gored after approaching bison in Yellowstone National Park

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/30/woman-gored-after-approaching.html

6 Likes

She stayed at least 6 feet away though

9 Likes

Was really hoping this just meant she was denied the presidency by a partisan Supreme Court ruling after a contested vote in Florida. The reality sounds much worse.

3 Likes

This guy is looking sensible after this story…

giphy

44 Likes

I believe the tag for this should be #winstupidprizes

9 Likes

I wouldn’t get that close to a fucking dairy cow.

20 Likes

A bison is basically a couple thousand pounds of untamed muscle, hoof and horn wrapped in a fur coat.

It’s amazing how many people treat Yellowstone like it’s a damn petting zoo.

36 Likes

I used to work for a small rural telephone company, and a frequently visited customer had a ranch where they raised bison. One day i was out there and a stray dog got in the pen and was being an ass hole, then the bull came over and knocked that dog probably 20 feet in the air. It was terrible to watch, but you cant do much after that point.

12 Likes

That guy was always looking sensible. I’ve been to Yellowstone, year ago–we came out of the lodge from dinner, and a herd had wandered onto the grounds, around the sidewalks and parking lots. One particularly large specimen was snorting and stamping on the pavement, and the ranger was doing her best to keep everyone back. Could have gone very badly, but the animal finally ran off.

18 Likes

You beat me to it.

13 Likes

His reaction is a PSA.

17 Likes

I assume if he’s from NBC Montana he knows what he’s doing around plains animals.

7 Likes

Apparently she doesn’t follow the National Park Service on Twitter:

39 Likes

Bird watching is safer.

11 Likes

Just don’t bring your small pets… or babies…

4 Likes
17 Likes

ezgif.com-gif-maker

37 Likes

You wouldn’t believe the stupid stuff I see people doing on grazing lands around where I live. People seem to believe that animals only exist for entertainment and photo ops these days.

5 Likes

looks just like a leopard ate her face

1 Like

There are a lot of, “I know you want to, but don’t,” signs in Yellowstone. I’m willing to bet she gave those the same respect.

9 Likes