Rangers kill the baby bison some stupid tourists moved into their car at Yellowstone

[Read the post]

1 Like

16 Likes

In 2015, Bison seriously injured five park visitors, which makes them more dangerous by the statistics than any other animal, including predators like bear, wolves, or big cats.

19 Likes

Ya’ll know we kill a thousand Bison every year because there isn’t enough room in the park for them, right? Big picture and all that…

1 Like

I knew the “Anti-Bison” movement had gained traction, but I never knew just how much till now.

[note sarcasm]

6 Likes

BoingBoing editors not paying attention to the own site.
Carry on.

2 Likes

At least they used a seat belt.

1 Like

And like 80,000 cattle are slaughtered per day in the US alone … but still, that calf was awfully cute and it’s a shame that a healthy wild animal had to be put down because of some jackass tourists.

9 Likes

Actually it is due to an “anti-bison” movement. Farmers don’t want them smashing fences and ruining crops, ranchers don’t want their cattle competing for food with them, rural people in general don’t want to smash into them on the roads.

So they’ve managed to keep them from being treated like any other sort of wildlife, and they’re not allowed to roam free outside the park. And because there are more of them than the park can handle and they breed really fast, the government just kills about 20% of the herd each year to keep the population level.

6 Likes

Thanks. I read this while eating breaded veal from a local Chinese restaurant.

2 Likes

Well, there was a seat belt near the calf anyway.

Either they were in a big rush to get the calf in out of the cold, or they didn’t know how to detach their retractable seat belt before folding the seats down. (You just have to poke something in the little hole where it attaches to the seat.)

never fear, what you ate probably wasn’t actually veal.

7 Likes

8 Likes

Looked for Yogi.

Made Boo Boo.

5 Likes

Nope: This is a follow-up story. The first story was about the calf put in the car, aren’t people dumb, etc. This story is about how the calf from the first story was euthanized.

9 Likes

Won’t someone bless the beasts and the children?

2 Likes

Why do I expect to read about the same tourists “rescuing” a barnacle gosling from a cliffside nest next year?

1 Like

It should read (Yellowstone Park Rangers Murdered Baby Bison) they fecking killed the baby because it’s mum rejected it,it could been saved but nooooo they rather murder it :rage:

I’m hoping they try rescuing a fulmar chick. They’ll learn their lesson quickly that way.

3 Likes

Were you going to take care of it?

11 Likes