Bison at Yellowstone tosses 9-year-old girl into the air (she is OK)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/24/bison-at-yellowstone-tosses-9.html

5 Likes

wow, that’s amazing – she almost stuck the landing, too.

17 Likes

You know, as it happens, I was in Yellowstone two weeks ago.

Bison, you may be surprised to know, are FUCKING HUGE. They are, clearly, not something to be fooled with and there are signs to this effect all over the place. Everywhere. Heck, there’s a video loop of a Bison doing exactly this to a full grown adult playing in the visitor center (a few hundred yards from where this incident appears to have happened).
The text talks about people being 5-10 FEET from the animal for 20 minutes- and that’s nuts. Totally nuts. I’m happy the kid is ok, but the entire incident was avoidable and I’d wager the parents should be held accountable.

30 Likes

Yeah, happy the kid is ok, but Darwin nearly claimed her.

5 Likes

Yeesh - stay away from the wildlife, kids. They look fuzzy and fun, but they aren’t your friends. Glad the kid is ok.

6 Likes

Me too! It was my first time back there since I was 7. I remember the first trip well because it was the first time I realized just how stupid grown-ups could be (I witnessed a man nudge a resting bison with his foot in an attempt to make it raise its head for a better picture).

17 Likes

good bison!

3 Likes

No no, the Darwin Award does not skip generations (more or less by definition). This is clearly the fault of her parents. OTOH a 9.6 for the landing…

8 Likes

But… but… Disney! Disney wouldn’t lie!

5 Likes

The ragdoll physics on Red Dead II is pretty intense!

6 Likes

I see there’s already a tag for these.

8 Likes

9 Likes

I love how the adults hauled ass and left the kid to her fate.

17 Likes

Am reminded of

7 Likes

Shit, even Disney warned us about how dangerous wild bovines could be. It wasn’t a crocodile that killed Simba’s dad.

18 Likes

I had my tailbone broken when I was a kid being thrown by a Brahman. I was in a pasture “helping” while my uncles were immunizing calves. Can vouch. Being tossed about by a huge animal is not fun. Also, don’t be stupid and stand around in a place where a lot of distressed baby animals are in earshot of their mothers and giant father.

17 Likes

:astonished: Ouch!

4 Likes

I’ve talked about this before but i’ve been in a few situations where tourists got dangerously close to wild animals and failed to pick up on signs that the animal was stressed and holding its ground (wild horses in Nevada and seals in California). Both times no one got hurt thankfully but it really wouldnt’ve taken much for someone to get injured or worse.

If you want pictures with an animal go to a petting zoo, otherwise leave them alone and enjoy from a distance. They deserve respect and space.

11 Likes

Especially the N. American Bison, a species that has a list of grievances against humans so long that it would no doubt stretch around the globe many times over.

16 Likes

I had my L1 and my coxyx broken pretty much the same way.

blink

Alright…okay, it was a pickup truck, not a bison. /s

14 Likes