Woman gored after approaching bison in Yellowstone National Park

“I ain’t messing with you”
Wise words from someone who definitely did not get gored by bison.

8 Likes

Except in Australia, where all manner of fauna and flora are literally trying to kill you

16 Likes

Bison don’t mess around about social distancing. She might have been ok within 6ft if she had a mask.

2 Likes

That is smart. People get killed by them fairly regularly.

2 Likes

I like how “Leaving” is seen just over his right shoulder.

Damn right!

9 Likes

I used to have a picture that I took in Yellowstone of a German tourist standing next to a bison, both of them next to an English-language sign warning people not to be close to the bison.

7 Likes

Did she get a shirt that says, “I visited Yellowstone, and all I got was gored by a bison.”

8 Likes

What did we learn?

6 Likes

If you’ve ever wondered what Dinosaurs were like, well, this is it.

5 Likes

The bison wanted a big hug and a belly rub, and she did not deliver.

5 Likes

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

9 Likes

if only she had a mask on too.

2 Likes

I met an ER doc who moved from LA to Rapid City, SD (Black Hills). My wife (also a MD) asked her about how her practice had changed most. She replied that she’s now seeing a lot of bison gorings. Apparently that doesn’t happen in LA.

On a related note, this is why I have a 200mm 2.8 zoom (full frame) with a 2x doubler. Someday I hope to have a 400 2.8. Makes these animal situations a lot easier!

16 Likes

“You wouldn’t believe the stupid stuff I see people doing on grazing lands around where I live. People seem to believe that animals only exist for entertainment and photo ops these days.”

It’s common all over in areas where newcomers move into rural areas for there to be dumb photo ops being taken.

I will say, however, that things have gotten better these days in parks. There was a lot of crazy stuff in the past – Yellowstone has shut down the bear feeding shows, for example:

11 Likes

She just needed a better camera to get that picture from a safe distance.

5 Likes

Yup

1 Like

The lesson is never, NEVER get close to a big, dumb, bulky animal. It can AND WILL fuck you up if it feels disturbed by your presence.

4 Likes

I’ve seen this famous sentence dozens of times and have never successfully parsed its meaning. I try (half-heartedly and without using a useful tool like a pencil and paper) again each time I see it and I stubbornly refuse to look it up or ask for help. Someday on my deathbed, my cryptic last words will be “goddammit, the buffalo were from Buffalo?!”

5 Likes

I treat all animals with respect despite the size, temperament, if its domesticated or not. Most animals don’t know what to do with human attention and people often ignore the signs that an animal is stressed.

7 Likes

Signs like this warn visitors to the Grand Canyon that, hey, it’s a long way down, and still, on average, two to three deaths per year are from falls over the rim.

8 Likes