Watch what happens when a group of people gets too close to a bison

Originally published at: Watch what happens when a group of people gets too close to a bison | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Watch what happens when a group of people idiots gets too close to a bison

Headline fixed.

19 Likes

So big, so cuddly. Oh Shit, RUN!

14 Likes

Yes, but by choice. Nobody in their right mind should get anywhere near that close. Per the National Park Service you shouldn’t get within 25 yards of a bison, as they can run 3 times faster than humans. That kid got lucky it gave up.

15 Likes

They’re lucky. That bison was just goofing around. If he’d wanted to, he could have done some serious trampling.

“Hey! Come back! I’ve got some buffalo wings for ya, right here!”

12 Likes

3 Likes

8 Likes

(For a second I thought that woman was wearing Buffalo Sabres shirt.)

2 Likes

Isn’t nature wonderful! (What a bunch of dopes.) Lucky that kid got out of this encounter at all.

My preference is to be on opposite sides of a fence from such wild animals. Deer can be bad enough, but BISON? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

That’s Best Procedure if you’re taunted by a group - go after the smallest one. I mean, if you have a chance of surviving. :thinking:

1 Like

Bison: NOT TODAY.

3 Likes

What’s even worse is they put those boardwalks in parts of Yellowstone where there is a risk of falling into geothermal features. They can show up practically out of the blue, and running off the boardwalk can lead to people being cooked alive where they thought was solid ground.

Bison are a lot savvier about dodging hot spots than tourists.

5 Likes

This man wrote the book on how to respond in the face of an approaching bison.

giphy

20 Likes

That National Park Service warning is spot on.

I grew up in Hays, KS. On the south side of town, there was an enclosure spanning several acres which was home to a bison herd. It’s close to the municipal golf course and the old Civil War fort grounds, and we often drove past on lazy afternoons.

My dad was full of stories about how dangerous the bison were. He often spoke of a motorcyclist who jumped the fence sometime in the 50s or 60s. It was the middle of the night, the biker was drunk, and he was thrown from the bike after tearing through the field towards the herd. A bison promptly mauled him to death.

I am routinely amazed by videos of people that close to bison. They should not be trifled with.

4 Likes

16 Likes
2 Likes

bison-rams-a-car-in-yellowstone

11 Likes

Better be a tall, very stout fence or a zoo-like moat. Bison can jump over typical fences. Those they can’t jump they’ll simply charge right through. Not too far from that video location is a place where bison are common, but they are usually separated from the highway and tourists by a buck & rail fence. The bison are often very close to this fence. Tourists will walk right up to the fence and nearby bison thinking the fence is some kind of protection. It’s not. Bison routinely jump this fence. It’s miraculous more have not been injured due to a false sense of security.

1 Like

That gif never ceases to amuse me.

You can actually see him weighing the importance of doing his job against maintaining his own physical safety and then making the correct decision in like a split second.

8 Likes

Binary Bison.

3 Likes