Watch what happens when a group of people gets too close to a bison

2 Likes

A long ago summer hire once told us of a buddy of his who had been gifted enough graduation money to buy a new BMW sedan; obviously loaded parents. (I know you know where this is headed… but I’ll proceed on anyway.) With the summer hire in tow, the buddy insisted on taking his BMW on a visit to one of those zoo parks in So Cal (San Diego?) where the animals roam free and visitors drive through. Once in, they stopped to watch a troop of baboons; one broke lose from the group, plowed into the driver’s door, turned around, then ran off. Just like that. No drama. Just destruction. That gave us some good laughs for the next few weeks.

2 Likes

It’s a thing of beauty. I like to imagine how many thoughts he could possibly have in that 3.5 seconds between seeing the bison and choosing life. I want him to be the host of a Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom type show that is just him speculating how close he’d let different sorts of animals get before exiting stage right, then breaking down precisely why sticking around would be some ridiculous nonsense.

4 Likes

Went to a game farm many years ago (maybe Al Oeming’s, can’t recall) where the Bison were fenced in with ordinary livestock fencing, and then had a timber rail fence running parallel to the livestock fence, but about four feet further back. The bison could get up to the livestock fence but couldn’t get enough speed up to knock it down. This way you could get real close and touch them without risk. That hair on their heads feels incredible, BTW. The place to see Bison around here now (Alberta) is Elk Island Nat’l Park. The woman in this video didn’t have much luck, but friends tell me that you can encounter Bison on the trail and if you step off they pass without incident. I don’t know if the Bison here are particularly tolerant; they take schoolkids out there all the time and I’ve never heard of any problems. It’s ungulate heaven, with plenty of Moose, Elk, and Deer.

2 Likes

There was no danger.
Kid knew what he was doing:
he was running serpentine.
Kids later quote: “And I’d do it again!”

1 Like

It won’t do to simply insinuate yourself with a Bison. With Buffaloes one must “shuffle up”.

1 Like

So, they’re bison-curious?

1 Like

Moral of the story: the entire animal kingdom is familiar with typical BMW drivers. :joy:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.