Cal Berkeley put a crooked line on its new football field, to show it sits on the Hayward Fault

I’m a Berkeley alum as are my folks and in-laws and while I like to root for Cal Football, it’s largely an absurd waste of money. That said, the $250MM that went into this wasn’t a $250MM that would have necessarily gone somewhere else – there’s a whole group of alumni sources of money that will donate to athletics and not to other stuff (at least not at the same volumes).

2 Likes

Smile when you say that, partner.

2 Likes

Fair point. My gripe is chiefly with our cultural priorities, and only secondarily with our scholastic priorities.

The creep fault under the stadium does kind of highlight the folly though, as if even nature is trying to tell us to get our beer helmets out of our collective ass.

3 Likes

Well, except for the jaggedness of the lines.

They only WISH the fault zig-zagged like that, because then it probably wouldn’t slip at all (-:

You went too far.

2 Likes

Is no one else concerned about the claw marks of something very large trying to drag open the north side of the fault? The California Golden Bear has awakened!

Thems is fightin’ words. Granite at 45 metres.

How uncreative.

Sorry to rile up some Canadians. You still have Hockey that the real world cares about.

And I though Carlisle United had it bad with Brunton Park being underwater in 2005, 2009 and 2015.

The starting point of my dad’s design for my parent’s current house was the drawing room cupboard from our old house.
Dad had the cupboard custom-made to fit into the old house in 1969 and he wanted to keep it.
So naturally, he designed the new house with a drawing room which would nicely accomodate the cupboard. In a way you could say that he built the house around the cupboard.

Then again, the current Wimbledon centre court was constructed around the lawn roller from the previous version already in place.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.