California election worker in pro-Trump attire removed from vote center

Yeah. Illustrative of the kind of ratfucking and voter intimidation the far right is planning to take at every stage of elections going forward. The kind of thing people need to know about and that other election officials need to plan for.

9 Likes

Sure, if you don’t care about a fascist willfully breaking the law in order to undermine liberal democracy. There’s a lot of celebrity news out there if you don’t care about that.

As for myself, as a former journalist I definitely consider this newsworthy. Also, the “just ignore them” strategy doesn’t work really well when applied to right-wing sado-populists.

Reporting on the activities and positions of fascists doesn’t have to mean condoning or validating them, nor does it have to imply giving them a platform to spew their sewage unchallenged.

Finally, “civil disobedience” is a way to protest an unjust or unreasonable law. What this petulant man-child is doing is tr0lling.

14 Likes

One more self immolating martyr. Where’s Hunter? Why, he lives, rent free, in your delusional noggin. There’s PLENTY of room in there, as it’s mostly empty space.

3 Likes

So. Much. This.
I’m so tired of people acting like we shouldn’t be paying attention to this stuff. Yet they are paying enough attention to bother to come here and tell us not to…me thinks they doth protest too much.

8 Likes

Hunter who?

(Yes, I know he means Hunter Biden. My question is more … why should we care? Unlike the Trump brood, Hunter Biden holds no position in this administration and therefore, beyond the basic notoriety of being a President’s child, is not newsworthy. Unless you can PROVE he’s involved in something illegal or even nefarious, I can’t be arsed to care “where’s Hunter”.)

3 Likes

I would argue the exact opposite: it’s downplaying crimes like this – if it were a true case of civil disobedience, he would expect and accept the consequences of punishment – that has gotten us where we are. They are emboldened because they see even bigger crimes are either ignored, openly allowed, or at least pardoned after the fact.

6 Likes

While I think his attire is unacceptable I question whether he is electioneering. The year is not 2020 and neither Trump nor Hunter are running for office.

It wasn’t a thing until the fascists became emboldened en masse. It’s becoming more common, along with intimidating school board members, harassing business owners and air crews who try to enforce COVID restrictions, and, y’know, trying to occupy capitol buildings. The complacent “nothing to see here” attitude about this kind of activity only helps these scumbags.

And again, this arsehole was warned once and came back anyhow. He should have been charged with a misdemeanor and, once found guilty, fined at least $1000.

[also, @orenwolf and the mods really don’t like it when you respond to a subsequent post by editing the previous post. Too late to fix it now.]

He was dressed in the regalia of the sado-populist movement backing the recall. The justified perception is there’s not one member of that group that would have voted “No” on the recall initiative.

3 Likes

I’m confused about this. Our local polling place in CA has never had a police presence, and actually having a police presence could be intimidating for some voters.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.