California election worker in pro-Trump attire removed from vote center

Originally published at: California election worker in pro-Trump attire removed from vote center | Boing Boing

9 Likes

38 Likes

How many FUs do we think he heard yesterday?

17 Likes

He willfully did this despite being told not to. Dismissal isn’t enough. He needs to be charged with a misdemeanor and fined a few thousand dollars at least.

https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/publications-and-resources/elections-officers-digest/penal-provisions

42 Likes

How did he make it in? He showed up dressed inappropriately, he should’ve been gone at that instant.

23 Likes

Because most polling places don’t have bouncers.

21 Likes

But they do have managers that can fire and yank all access.

19 Likes

He probably wore a hoodie or some other type of outerwear that concealed it at first.

23 Likes

I ran into a wall on this actually, i can find the law itself but i can’t find info on the consequences of willfully engaging in electioneering.

8 Likes

And the reason he was still there until a voter reported him?

It’s because the other poll workers were also Trumpers, but they dressed to blend in. Think about that.

14 Likes

From the link above, as regarding carrying out duties as an election official (which he was):

Every person charged with the performance of any duty under any law of this state relating to elections, who willfully neglects or refuses to perform it, or who, in his or her official capacity, knowingly and fraudulently acts in contravention or violation of any of those laws, is, unless a different punishment is prescribed by the Elections Code, punishable by fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment pursuant to Section 1170(h) of the Penal Code for 16 months or two or three years, or by both that fine and imprisonment. (§ 18002.)

He broke the law both as an official and a non-official by electioneering within

“100 feet of a polling place, a satellite location under Section 3018, or an elections official’s office” means a distance 100 feet from the room or rooms in which voters are signing the roster and casting ballots. Any person who violates any of these prohibitions is guilty of a misdemeanor. (§ 18370.)

22 Likes

Thanks i appreciate the follow up :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is the relevant line (Codes Display Text):

Any person who violates any of the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.

So up to 6 months in jail and a $1000 fine

That’s about on par with the penalties we have in Texas for the same behavior, assuming your local County Attorney is willing to pursue it.

11 Likes

I really don’t get the Hunter issue. Yes, he’s the son of a president, but he’s a private citizen and in no way involved with government. Unlike the previous turd’s adult children, who I feel were legitimate targets for questions.

19 Likes

Yeah it is hella illegal.

Sigh. I guess I should sign up to be an election judge again, so yahoo’s like this aren’t running things.

8 Likes

I question his loyalty…he’s wearing a mask.

3 Likes

It’s a classic russian parody tactic.

You can not criticize us for ____ because you do _____.

6 Likes

Could be one of those malicious compliance mesh “freedom” masks I keep getting ads for on Facebook :-/

1 Like

I mean, this is kind of a non-story. Guy going in as a pollworker knows he doesn’t have the “right” to electioneer within 100 ft of the polling place (much less inside, much less as a pollworker). He wanted, for whatever reason, to civilly disobey. It doesnt even deserve an article in the press.

No, but, it’s not a thing. Every polling place has a cop (if not more than one). The head coordinator at polls will tell the pollworker, before the polls even open: “Hey, c’mon, you took the class, you well know you cannot wear that T-shirt/hat.” It’s not “breaking the law”, because it never gets that far. The pollworker changes his shirt. Or the cop points him to the door. For it to go any further just never happens. That pollworker never served a voter in that shirt/getup.

1 Like

Which of course is why Fox News is screaming to high heaven about it.

1 Like