California gets ready to punch back

And class today we will study the trump wall and the rapid period of evolution that led to the demise of the humans. Coincidentally it also led to the cult of the ladder among out armadillo friends.

2 Likes

So you’re a non-native Californian telling my Bay area native Californian wife that she’s wrong because you like the word. Check.

Oh yeah, and a few cheap shots on Berkeley.

We actually live in Oakland so you should throw in some dig there instead…

I guess we’ve jumped the shark.

6 Likes

(I do realize you’re mostly…kidding!)

2 Likes

Probably jicama.

6 Likes

I don’t particularly like the word, I just find the vocal objections to it grossly performative. People get upset because they think they’re supposed to in order to prove their membership in a group.

See also: “■■■■■.”

1 Like

Hmmm. :grin: Lovely, lovely jicama.

1 Like

I know…so good, right?

1 Like

ALL RIGHT! ALL RIGHT! I’M FUCKING SORRY!

Kay, can we get back to the punching, please?

2 Likes

I wasn’t saying that they were pronouncing it in a Spanish manner, just that the way they pronounced it then seems to me to be closer to the Spanish pronunciation then “Anje-leez”.

1 Like

My spouse gave the GPS an Australian accent and nicknamed it “Hugh”. Sometimes I think I should be jealous but darn it that GPS is a pretty good actor, even if it has trouble with some US place names.

3 Likes

I did it, down below… Isn’t Biggie retro at this point?

4 Likes

Well, he died in '97 which means it’s been 20 yea… dammit, you’re right.

Bollocks to this ‘getting older’ crap.

10 Likes

Indeed. Still seems like it was just recently that he and Tupac died… Same with Kurt Cobain… And it’s been quite a while, actually. Scary to think about.

7 Likes

Complete honesty: I’ve lived out here in California for ~30 years, and not once did I ever hear (or read until now) California being referred to as Cali. (I know I’m not exactly plugged into the Zeitgeist, but c’mon!)

1 Like

You can, apparently, have it use BRIAN BLESSED’S voice. Why you would do anything else, I have no idea.

6 Likes

I still don’t ever hear a Californian say “frisco” and haven’t in the decade I’ve been living here. When it has come up conversationally, there is always an eye roll. Your anecdotes may vary.

I mean, where did people learn that they needed to do this to fit in? From Californians?

2 Likes

In Blessed’s voice: “You are now entering the town of Toad Suck, Arkansas.” Hmm.

6 Likes

Bingo!

2 Likes

I’m sure Kurt even died before some of us bbs members were born!

…only a year before though so don’t feel too old.

3 Likes