California gets ready to punch back

You should hear my GPS try to pronounce Junípero Serra.

The hard ‘G’ is pretty much the norm in old movies, which were mainly filmed there.

7 Likes

Dude, mine can’t even say “San Ramon” correctly.

5 Likes

You mean it’s not like Raymond?

4 Likes

Well it’s closer to the Spanish* g, which is like unto the hard g as the ch in Chaim is unto the English ch.

* Mexican Spanish anyway. There is variation within Latin America and the Iberian peninsula.

1 Like

The Tohono O’odham Nation is along Arizona’s southern border and many of their people reside in northern Sonora. They do not want a wall cutting across the land where their people have lived for over 300 years. (Another data point.)

7 Likes

You should hear Google Maps trying to pronounce Australian Indigenous place names.

1 Like

What is it if your potato harvest came off like magic during a freeze, again? Bad RNG is the monster?
[Image of DeNiro character explaining Consent Form 2.0 with Brannagh character, plotting Modern Keynesian Incentives.]
[Image of administration on Maker tables ca. LA for mandatory update and reboot.] This is a done plan, right?
Totes looking for the guilty pseudo-'R’s.

10 Likes

Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

5 Likes
9 Likes

Around Seattle, there are a bunch of places with Native names. It is a standard test of an immigrant to see if they can pronounce them on seeing them written down. Great hilarity ensues.

1 Like

Frisco-aversion is largely the province of newer arrivals seeking to prove their bona fides by having read about Emperor Norton’s proclamation on the matter. Tell the Hells Angels chapter how inauthentic they are with their Frisco rockers. See how that goes over.

1 Like

My wife was born and raised in Berkeley and visibly winces when people say that word.

3 Likes

Berkeley isn’t San Francisco. Your wife is not an authoritative source. I would agree with wincing at “Berzerkely” though.

2 Likes

Not in the movies. “Angle-Leez” is what you usually hear.

So you’re saying that you’re an SF native that proudly uses “Frisco” in front of the same? OK!

Why do people call it “Cali”? Almost as bad as “Frisco” … (and yes it’s not that important - just irksome)

The “monster’s” got a name, you know - it’s Adam. Or, apparently, in this case, Abraham. Maybe he had a brother.

My time in Tijuana has shown me this only depends on where you live.

There’s a “thing” here I don’t know the name of, but I’m getting used to it.
Corn chips, peanuts, a vegetable that is like a cross between a cucumber and a pear but has the texture of water chestnuts, a tamarind snack that looks like dog kibble but tastes like raisins, chili sauce, sweet sauce, and/or ketchup lime juice. Mix it all together in a bowl and enjoy.

1 Like

I’m not a native, but 14+ years’ experience suggests that neither are most of the people who get bent out of shape about “Frisco.” It’s not like calling NYC “the Big Apple,” which is definitely a sobriquet used exclusively by tourists and their enablers.

Yeah, I’ll take Zappa, Kerouac, Ginsberg, Joplin, and London (plus a reformed Caen) (plus the HAs) over some trying-too-hard techbro arriviste any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Pft, Berkeley! Where the neighborhood associations install planters to keep strangers from driving down their bougie little suburb streets. I did get a good deal on a pre-GM SAAB there though. Loved that car. /ot

“San Fran” is right out though. I’m surprised my spellcheck doesn’t set my phone on fire just for typing that.

1 Like

That is a hedgehog chestburster? I did not know they incubated in humans for part of their life cycle.

5 Likes