California postures toward secession

10th, after India, but ahead of Russia. This may depend on what years stats one is referring to.

Well… bye…

Seriously though. A wall wouldn’t work. They would leave the Mexican boarder open and it would be pretty easy to just zip down there and come up the other way.

My wife grew up in California and Hawaii, and occasionally on the road in Mexico and the west… When she moved east for college, one of the things she found really strange was that crossing a state border just meant there was a billboard saying “Governor ___ Welcomes You to _____, The ____ State!!”, instead of having to stop for the California or Arizona Fruit Police or go through Hawaii Agricultural Inspection or the I-5 Border Patrol Stop (between San Diego and LA - it’s there to harass anybody who looks Mexican and make sure their papers are in order) or US and Mexican Customs.

Bolinas will still be safe - if they stop them from cutting down the road sign, they can at least repaint the arrow to point the other way and use a big magnet to confuse your GPS. “This isn’t the Bolinas Road you’re looking for.”

2 Likes

But you could finally escape Poutine, and the despotic rule of Tim Horton’s! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Kids, kids… It’s way too early for NCR forces to be staring down an army of murderous reactionary savages while engaged in a morally dubious grab at western water rights. That’s not scheduled until after the nuclear apocalypse.

12 Likes

You mean the War of Eastern Aggression?

19 Likes

So in, dude.

1 Like

Well…maybe it’s necessary? people are stupid, and need contrasts and examples because words are hard.
Perhaps with enough “See, our ways actually work and you’re starving to death”, people will start voting for statespeople instead of politicians who promise them the moon for no good reason?

I’m hilarious, I know.

3 Likes

Oh, come on! It’s not a dump truck!

1 Like

It has been updated for the new millennium…

14 Likes

Or, worse yet, to stop introducing new smartphone models.

6 Likes

Sifn’t buy Chinese anyway. How does 2GHz octacore with 2GB and 5Ah for $225 grab you?

1 Like

As long as the state of Jefferson is allowed to secede in turn.

Also, you’re going to get rebellions from eastern WA and OR. Not that a progressive state would necessarily care about losing that area.

I look forward to the Battle of Bend, in which a militia of skiers and hikers from Pottland form an uneasy alliance with California transplants to keep Bend for Pacifica.

9 Likes

Good luck shutting down PHLIX and NYIIX… and Dave Mills lives in Delaware :slight_smile: so don’t even think about trying to mess with the protocol layers!

'cept that in Trump’s Greater America there will be an impregnable wall across the Southron Boarder.

2 Likes

We will show them a documentary. Everyone will stay.

1 Like

I know the original flag was made by a bunch of wannabe-revolutionary-hillbillies who couldn’t draw a bear to save their lives but that’s still no excuse for the kerning.

The very first incarnation of the flag has been lost to time but I like this reproduction from Wikipedia because that bear looks ready to maul somebody.

5 Likes

To keep out the Haradrim?

1 Like

Not if California is no longer part of the US. Unless it secedes after it is put up.

But even if Trump is elected, I doubt a wall will be made. Rich Republican’s don’t REALLY want to ban illegal immigrants because they exploit their cheap labor, don’t have to pay benefits for many of them, and all in all, make more money. California defiantly benefits from this with the amount of migrant farm workers they use.

Though, on the flip side, two reasons we may want to curb some illegal immigration, is a smaller worker pool will lead to overall lower unemployment rates and it if that gets low enough it will nudge wages upward. And if we DO implement more social programs, one is going to either have to 1) prevent illegals from entering that system or 2) revise the system so they are now contributing to it. If you look at Europe which has more social programs, they also have much stricter immigration laws and much less illegal immigration. Plainly put, you can’t afford to include too many people in a system who don’t contribute.