California says buh-bye to Walgreens over its Gilead approach to abortion pills: "We're done"

Maybe do a basic search before asking?

NPR:

Walgreens won’t distribute abortion pills in states where Republican officials have threatened legal action — including some places where abortion is still legal and available.

guardian:

Walgreens will not distribute the abortion pill mifepristone in nearly two dozen conservative states after Republican attorneys general threatened the largest US pharmacy companies with legal consequences for sending abortion pills by mail.

Politico:

The nation’s second-largest pharmacy chain confirmed Thursday that it will not dispense abortion pills in several states where they remain legal — acting out of an abundance of caution amid a shifting policy landscape, threats from state officials and pressure from anti-abortion activists.

27 Likes

Why read when you can just ask questions! /s

20 Likes

Yeah, sorry - I guess what I actually meant was, “What business does the state of California have with individual pharmacies* that they’d be willing to stop?”

*Because there must be interactions in the context of Medi-Cal, etc. as well, and I don’t think it’s likely California will specifically exclude Walgreens from continuing to get state money in that context either. I’m wondering if the threat isn’t basically empty, or if there are some sort of funds or business that wouldn’t directly impact public health that the state can end.

Walgreens isn’t going to stop selling the drug where it’s now illegal, but in places where it is still legally allowed. The legal threats being made by Republicans are basically total bullshit, citing irrelevant laws the pharmacy could safely ignore, but it’s an excuse to do something Walgreens apparently want to do anyways.

14 Likes

they’re also stopping sales where it’s legal but frowned upon by the republican men in power.

that said even if they were just stopping where it’s theoretically illegal, those laws are unjust and unconstitutional and they shouldn’t concede people’s health care to extremists

20 Likes

miss jay gif GIF

We can’t let them have a sad! /s

19 Likes

they’re very sensitive. do not shake.

Happy Merry Christmas GIF by Mother Goose Club

( shake i say, shake! )

12 Likes

I don’t think it’s generally legal for a state government to raise the taxes on a specific company like that, but you can get a lot done by withholding the carrot.

Fun Fact: the biggest single driving force behind the desegregation of American hospitals was the Federal government’s launch of Medicare in 1965, because it represented a huge pile of money that hospitals could only get a piece of by agreeing to admit patients regardless of race.

23 Likes

Yeah, I think that would be a bill of attainder, however I believe they could pass a law that effects all companies that participate in the activity that Walgreens is accused of. Or at least that would avoid the bill of attainder issue, there might be something else that means CA can’t pass a law that effectively attempts to regulate what is done in other states (i.e. “I punish you in CA for what you are doing in TX” might be invalid)

6 Likes

Yeah I know.

Just sick of these fuckers. They’re on the wrong side and they just don’t care.

Eff them. Whatever it takes.

9 Likes

I mostly feel bad for any employees who might lose their jobs.
Hopefully this protest will lead to Walgreens changing the policy.

17 Likes

I’m reasonably sure that California can find under 600 commercial tenants, even if you weirdly assume they will all go out of business. LA alone has about a million square feet of new retail space constructed each year. Assuming an average store size of around 15,000 square feet, LA would be able to eat about 10% of that just by delaying new construction.

13 Likes

giphy-35

10 Likes

California Medicaid is probably one of the world’s largest healthcare payers.

ETA: Yep. Budget is $138.9 B

21 Likes

But but but…
That might lead to slight inconveniences! We can’t have that, now can we?

17 Likes

In the unlikely event this policy drives Walgreens out of business those employees shouldn’t have much trouble finding work at any of the other, non-boot-licking-misogynist-drugstores that are ready and waiting to fill in the void and scoop up some of the California tax money Walgreens won’t be getting.

14 Likes

“News: Unemployment is at its Lowest Level in 54 years.” If you are posting that to imply that anyone who wants a job can get one, it’s not true.

Try being over 50 in a profession that has heavily attracted newcomers (graphic design) and isn’t understood well enough by most businesses for them to value experience. I have more than once freelanced for a company where they’d previously had relatively “new” designers, and they were flabbergasted by my speed and lack of technical error. But how can I say that on a resume? (Best I’ve managed is “thousands of hours of Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.”)

I also cannot be on my feet all day (never could), so that rules out many more-generic jobs.

Suggestions?

1 Like

… we’re talking about people who are hypothetically getting laid off from Walgreens because Gavin Newsom is being mean to it

12 Likes

OK, now I have a question about the post headline - what does “Gilead approach” mean?

1 Like

Trying to recreate society in the image of the Handmaid’s Tale.

14 Likes