California townspeople initiated a citizen’s arrest of obnoxious "air horn guy"

Yep, us white folks are the master race alright. No doubt about it.

And, masters of self grooming as well.

2 Likes

Now if he was doing it to annoy everybody instead of just one guy he would be a contender for my man of the year.

Type “loud bike” into Google to see it.

It gets in the way of me finding my Loud Bike on Google, but it has a 300w sound system instead of an air horn. Much more pleasant to listen to, especially with Esquivel playing.

2 Likes

It wasn’t explained in this article, but another source said that since the cops didn’t witness the sound they couldn’t arrest him in their capacity as police. So they arrested him as a citizen’s arrest until the local inhabitants were able to make a formal complaint.

Unusual, because mostly cops will just say “huh, nothing I can do”, so either somebody influential lives in the area, or that local PD hires much better than usual cops.

13 Likes

I’ve heard a tale similar from a cousin. This is one of those friend of a friend stories so may not be true, but had heard that someone he knew had installed the kind of horn you see in semis in a small car he owned (could’ve been a VW bug). Even if the story isn’t true i find the idea of it pretty funny.

1 Like

I have the same kind of prankster in my neighborhood, blasting an air horn repeatedly in the early morning hours. I tried to make a citizen’s arrest, but a moving train is damned hard to slow down, let alone stop.

12 Likes

Deep down…we’re all “Air-Horn Guy”…

3 Likes

A misdemeanor arrest may be made by a cop where they witness the misdemeanor. A cop may make a felony arrest on information and belief (or however the statute phrases it). “Citizen’s arrest” in this instance is a fancy way of saying the cop didn’t see the alleged crime occurring, but a private citizen did. (CA citizen’s arrest statutes). I don’t know what happened in this case, but the “citizen” does not actually have to hold or detain the alleged criminal for a citizen’s arrest to be effected.

6 Likes

Previously, on BoingBoing

1 Like

https://screaming-banshee.com/

train whistles are a some known factor which have been secreted away in car trunks

1 Like

“Impractical”, you say?

José Castrellón: Priti Baiks

5 Likes

“I ask because I can’t actually hear anymore and I’m not sure what you said.”

2 Likes

Mr. Bubb Rubb:

1 Like

This guy at our local shopping centre must have been frustrated, being confined to an electric wheelchair so he wired a car horn up to its 12 volt system and used it to great advantage when he couldn’t push through crowds of people.

1 Like

Cams are lopsided, eccentrics are symmetrical but displaced from the axis of rotation.

Cam: (I used to have one of these)

Eccentric:

Yes I am technical support, how else may I help you?

[edit - yes, that is a terrible cam profile. It’s off a Velocette.]

4 Likes

Ugh, we used to live in a dense neighborhood next to a hospital that had “shitty trumpet guy” who would play a few bars (terribly) at 3am then disappear, multiple times a week. By the time I’d dragged myself outside the apartment, I couldn’t find anyone.

2 Likes

What punishment would you impose for a 4 AM vuvuzela serenade?

But hopefully no one draws inspiration for this when it comes to their electric vehicles.

1 Like

the Improv4humans comedy podcast had a great episode where they interviewed a guy from a youtube video of him yelling at a shitty trumpet player. It wasn’t entirely clear which direction they were going, though Matt Besser is generally pretty great with interviewees. I was relieved to hear he agreed with the guy.

Forum post from the engineer who arranged the call-in, with the original youtube, and soundclip of the interview

1 Like