California woman surprised to find out she's living atop a massive rattlesnake den

Isn’t the brain a funny thing? I forgot Wendt and Moll were teamed up in that one and they were just somehow linked in my head. Now I need to watch it again this weekend.

6 Likes

obligs:

16 Likes

I wouldn’t mind a big rat snake in my yard, but they don’t range into Ontario.

4 Likes

We’ve got both, and the snakes are non-intrusive, and just want to be left alone.

The rodents want into your house, and are fairly destructive as well.

The Big Issue here is that a den is used repeatedly, and often for generations and generations of snakes. That den is going to be used forever and will just keep having snakes unless filled in.

4 Likes

The idealist in me wants to leave the danger noodles alone, and let them have their den.

2 Likes

It can be done. I know someone with a den on their property, and they just fenced the rocky area where it is off, so the dogs can’t get to it. Also, rattlesnake avoidance training for the dogs plus the rattlesnake vaccine (dubious efficacy).

The weird thing is that you think “eh, reptiles don’t really smell”, but a full den of rattlers has a distinct scent.

6 Likes

Oh come on! It was mentioned in the listing as “close to nature”

3 Likes

Maybe if she hosted a foreign exchange animal from India?

5 Likes

We only have Massassauga rattlers in Ontario, and they are in the northern areas. Sadly, we only have the little garter snakes around here, and precious few of those, so they are no threat to rats. Baby mice, maybe. I’ll take your word about the smell.

3 Likes

Rattlesnakes are venomous, though.
However, that is my position in regards to gopher snakes.

2 Likes

I had two rattlesnakes in my house at two different times and let me tell you… I’m uninsured and I want to stay alive and have all my limbs as long as possible. I mean ecologically speaking the best thing I could do is kindly die but :woman_shrugging: I don’t wanna.

They don’t trap and release rattlesnakes here though apparently, they only trap and kill. So… The guy who trapped the first one preserved the skin for me gratis which is cool and I kind of want to have it made into a belt some day but have no idea how to get that done and don’t want to waste the skin failing my own attempt.

Today in “no one asked” but still… I sympathize with anyone who finds these lovely but terrifying beasts in the dark corners of their home. And to anyone suggesting living in a viper den… y’all first.

8 Likes

I’m glad I don’t have to make any decisions about tolerating venomous snakes in my yard!

3 Likes

Here ya go:

Jesus’ tits, are they fuckin’ cobras in that bath?

1 Like

King cobras, to be precise.

1 Like

Oh well, I guess that’s okay then.

1 Like

I thought so. That’s… quite a step up from rubber ducks. :flushed:

I wonder if it’s the urine, as they probably don’t have loads of natural predators, they wouldn’t be too worried about marking the area…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.