Squirrel has no time for snake's reptilian bullshit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/03/squirrel-has-no-time-for-snake.html

3 Likes

Nothing like high pitched screaming in my earbuds to make me want to watch a video.

7 Likes

If that snake had been just a little larger and more mature, that damn tree rat would have been lunch.

1 Like

If that were the case, I suspect the snake would have never known the squirrel was there, as it just quietly slunk away.

See also;

Prey animals are not always such easy marks.

3 Likes

Female squirrel. Initially, looks like she was carrying some fluffy stuff for her nest.
Don’t mess with mama!

6 Likes

This reminds me of Pokémon

1 Like

I have to assume snek is not venomous?

1 Like

Move over Honey Badger there’s a new badass in town.

7 Likes

I don’t think it was a rattle snake. It was a garter snake. I didn’t see or hear any rattles and sometimes garter’s have skin patterns mimicking a rattler and they also mimic a rattler’s strike poise to fend of attackers. If it was a rattler it must have been a cold morning and the snake was too slow to strike effectively and the squirrel knew it, otherwise, that squirrel would have been breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Is that Tippy-Toes?

image2

7 Likes

squirrel probably has rabies

Probably a non-venomous gopher snake - the patterning is very similar and they’re often mistaken for rattlers (they also mimic rattlesnake movements).

7 Likes

Trying to figure out what the squirrel is thinking. For all the world looks like it is trying to eat the snake, holding it to keep it from running away. No clue. Nature is wierd!

It’s a bullsnake/gopher snake. Nonvenomous, but they can deliver a reasonably uncomfortable bite.

1 Like

He thought squirrel was gopher. Snek have big surprise!

1 Like

probably a squirrel with babies. seems like a good survival strategy to drive off animals likely to eat your children, but to small to eat you.

2 Likes

That makes sense. She (I assume she) was pretty damn brutal about it!

it’s a ground squirrel. that snake is a natural predator/enemy. ground squirrels burrow in tunnels and that snake probably hunts baby squirrels.

2 Likes

Squirrel: Hey, snake, do you like Tom Petty? Let me sing something of his for you: Don’t come around here no more. Don’t come around here no more. Whatever you’re looking for, hey, don’t come around here no more.

Snake: WTF. Why are you people just standing there?! Help me out! I’m the good guy! These things have diseases! When’s the last time you heard of a person getting a disease from a snake??

1 Like