A holiday in Cambodia
Where you’ll kiss ass or crack

Dead Kennedy’s

4 Likes

This should end well…

1 Like

I cant see how this can backfire… EVER.

1 Like

Why all the legal mumbo jumbo though? I hear in the US, cops just take all the money you have in your car and be done with it.

4 Likes

In other news, Boingboing legalizes (and relentlessly pursues) hyperbolic clickbait headlines.

Sigh.

3 Likes

Has anyone asked the Cambodian police how they feel about taking a 30% pay-cut?

Having watched Cambodian cops openly shaking down stallholders in one of Phnom Penh’s larger markets, I can confirm there’s nothing new about what you might call “direct funding” of the police in Cambodia. This isn’t so much a case of the state offering cops 70% of the value of each fine, it’s a case of the state asking for a 30% cut.

Meanwhile, back in the good old US, police departments are often heavily funded by money from fines or seizures. I guess the difference is that when the profits go to an individual officer, rather than the PD as a whole, there’s even more incentive for aggressive policing as a revenue-generating activity.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the bait!

5 Likes

I predict a huge upsurge in poor driving in Cambodia.

A similar policy is alive and well in London as well. They explicitly design certain traffic intersections so as it’s impossible to avoid breaking the rules, they factor the fine income into the council budgets.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.