Cambridge Analytica: Director 'met Assange to discuss U.S. election', channelled $ to WikiLeaks

CA was headed by a Brit, but was an American company, itself part of a larger American company (SCA) run by the Mercers.

So once again, America is employing a Brit as the bad guy - in this case, Steven Merchant as a Bond villain.

imageimage

9 Likes

It shows that Chelsea Manning doesn’t know what she is doing when it comes to advocating her views, and possibly that she doesn’t know how to keep good company. Her first political act as a free advocate was to (unwittingly) be turned into a tool of the alt-right in the United States.

Assange repeats far-right garbage, Wikileaks’ twitter is repeatedly bigoted and full of conspiracy - and as much as they claim they are not they are tied to and support WikileaksTaskForce which is a far-right group that tied themselves to Wikileaks. Considering their editorializing of leaks in the past few years, to say they are impartial is false and they heavily favor far-right populist movements in their public statements. If you can’t accept the criticism that they openly endorse far-right populism, then I can’t help you but that won’t change the reality.

9 Likes

Oh, they behave like true American capitalists. Why, just yesterday one of them was snowflaking about whistleblowers destroying a perfectly honourable company.

1 Like

3 Likes

Well… More like “He got onto most people’s radar by doing a lot of good things that pissed off the wealthy & powerful quite a bit, so we were working under the assumption for a long time that any negative coverage was heavily biased and/or tainted, and so supported him for much longer than we would have a less controversial figure, taking that bias into account”.

In my case, I only really started getting cold feet with Assange after reading the DTJr DMs, because by then there was already a lot of question marks without adequate answers, and at that point he had been displaying behavior that was really only consistent with someone that had heavily gone over to the Trump side.

And, to be fair to him, that is entirely consistent - I don’t know why he’s treated as a traitorous blackguard: the guy has said from the beginning that his goal is to destroy or heavily curtail power structures that rely on secrecy to operate, especially ones that pose a global threat if not attacked. It’s not unreasonable for him, a New Zealand / Aussie native, to try and de-power the U.S. internationally by pushing a retard into office.

However, he also needs to realize that moving away from attacking the wealthy and powerful and creating collateral damage by functionally attacking U.S. citizens by helping Trump get elected will, as a natural consequence, turn the vast majority of his U.S. supporters against him, as happened in my case. I understand him, but would also bring a lead pipe to any location I think he might be present and unsupervised. Because fuck that guy.

The Russian government should also meet this definition, but Assange has been almost entirely uncritical of it. He has a show on RT. That doesn’t seem consistent with hating secrecy or the wealthy and powerful.

4 Likes

Yes, but there has always been an element of “allies of convenience” with WL/Assange - a lot of people just assumed he was temporarily allying himself with the Russians as insurance against the U.S… But then it went way too far, and started looking more like “Russian stooge” than “Temporary ally”. Ugh.

1 Like

It seems to me that if Assange and Wikileaks actually stood for their stated ideals then they should have been among the organizations exposing Cambridge Analytica’s shenanigans, not among the organizations partnering with them.

12 Likes

That question goes way back. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/dec/02/julian-assange-wikileaks-china-russia Around this time, I went looking to see the body of work he’d done on Russia, and found crickets. I don’t know if it’s just a look.

1 Like

Julian “I fucked her while she was asleep” Assange is definitely a rapist under Canadian law, British law, German, etc.

8 Likes

Well, yeah, discovering this is just further proving to most people that Assange turned away from the light a lot longer ago than most suspected.

1 Like

Assange is what happens when an egomaniac is praised for being on the right side of something and interprets that as confirmation that everything he does must by definition by righteous and anyone who disagrees with him must therefore be wrong.

If Assange and/or WL was anything resembling what they claim to be at this point, we’d have a full picture of Trump’s finances and conflicts of interest and Russia’s actions in the election.

8 Likes

My tin-foil-hat has been muttering to me of late that Brexit was the warm-up and trump the big top freakshow. (“Always about you, isn’t it with you yanks?” …yeah)

Sort of a tangent to the main topic. I wanted to nominate this for sentence of the year.

It’s been doing a lot of work.

6 Likes

And why is that? Because the Cambridge Analytica Director is so credible, or is it that her organization is so upstanding. Those contributions to Wiki seem a bit hard to verify. It sounds more like a hail Mary from someone who is trying to make a deal.

Right?? This is an administration that has had more leaks than a wicker Titanic. If Wikileaks hasn’t come into possession of any juicy stuff on Trump or Putin or Cambridge Analytica it’s because they were working hard not to find anything.

8 Likes

Why is it that any post critical of Assange suddenly inspires a bunch of new commenters to sign up for accounts on the BBS? (I notice the previous new commenter’s posts have disappeared, so welcome back if this is a sockpuppet account).

4 Likes

When is wikileaks going to release all emails/documents related to the running and management of wikileaks?

3 Likes

On a related note, has anyone ever seen Jordan Peterson and Julian Assange together, in the same place, at the same time? Hmmmm…

5 Likes

blurting out “voting won’t change anything” doesn’t seem to indicate a dedication to democracy…

2 Likes