Can an axe really cut a chain in half?

But… wait… that was, like, 3 words. I don’t get it…

2 Likes

Be careful going down the rathole and watching too many of this guy’s videos. He seems like a nice enough guy, certainly would be a good neighbor. But he also doesn’t seem very tolerant and interested in building an inclusive society. Probably not the best guy to get life advice from, other than about things like chainsaws.

5 Likes

On that note, is the standard method of disassembling handcuffs using a hacksaw something that will actually work? It sounds like something that will require some combination of non-standard hacksaw, way too much time, and a very high risk of potential injury. I’m thinking tin snips won’t likely do it either.

1 Like

I was wondering if this one might have been sponsored by the axe manufacturer, since he mentioned the brand a couple of times.

2 Likes

He’s got more stumps than you can shake a stick at. He manages a stewardship forest.

Here’s something he did with a stump, that I thought was interesting:

1 Like

I’m just impressed by the man’s aim.

2 Likes

Hard to say. I only watched about 2/3 of the video, and he mentioned twice that he’s using a Basque axe. That’s a style of axe, not a brand. BUT it seems like there’s only one company making them anymore. And someone above mentioned that this YT channel has been careless in the past about disclosing sponsorships. You have to wonder why he used his favorite axe to chop chain.

3 Likes

Yeah, he’s gone pretty far down Clickbait Gulch and is the Pewdiepie of the YT ‘homesteading’ space. I had to give up once a BMW and a brand-new tractor popped up in the background of Expensive Custom Tool Review & Homeschooling Soapbox Video #300. His stick has left the ice.

8 Likes

That’s not really true, though. The Titanic was manufactured with the highest grade steel available at the time, with the same steel not only being used for her two sister ships, but numerous other ships - Yardworkers and Retired Harland-Wolff shipbuilding engineers have referred to it as “Battleship Quality” steel.

The “Poor Metallurgy”(aka, Brittle steel) theory of the Titanic has long been disproved, since we’ve been able to use ultrasound and GPR to examine her hull, including the points she ground along the iceberg, and the hull is in remarkable condition, considering. The issue was the Mild Steel rivets, which weren’t as strong as the hull-plates - so when the titanic struck the iceberg, the plates bent and rippled which simply sprung a number of the rivets, combined with a number of others that had the heads sheared off by being ground along the iceberg.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure my best axe would cut unhardened chain - it shears through embedded steel nails without damaging the edge. But I’d never purposely hit a chain with a good axe.

A crap axe, sure! I spent most of last week hammering one through pine roots with a sledgehammer. :slight_smile: But the edge of a crap axe would probably fold.

So maybe the question is really “how craptacular can an axe be and still cut mild steel”?

I just use bolt cutters to cut chain, like everybody else.

1 Like

Ah. I assumed that was a brand name. I stand corrected. Thank you. Probably not sponsored, then.

Depends—how much time do you have?

3 Likes

Titanic II: Jigsaw’s Return"

2 Likes

If we’re thinking historically, I suspect a good sword was better than most chains. I suggest rich people who could afford decent steel cared more about their weapons than shackles.

I’m getting close to being unable to watch scripted TV action drama, what with the axes chopping chains, bullets opening doors, hackers taking seconds to enter a system cold, people getting knocked unconscious, but popping up and chasing the bad guy immediately. In Person of Interest Reese takes a bullet to the shoulder yet continues to have badass fistfights. I actually laughed when at the end of the episode his partner gives him a slap to the shoulder and he doesn’t even flinch. And lets not get into always finding a manhattan parking spot right in front.

1 Like

You may be unaware but Wranglerstar posts some troubling and retrograde political content on his channel. his beliefs definitely do not jive with what i understand to be boingboing’s core values. Maybe think twice about giving him a signal boost (and the resultant ad revenue.)

3 Likes

Man it’s hilarious to see a pudgy guy in business-casual and safety goggles swing a big sword like that. I’d love to see him as a character in a videogame. Everyone else in historic garb, and just “Steve from accounting” who got sucked through a time portal to the ancient highlands.

4 Likes

Yup. Though i’m wondering how loyal this little trumpster is given the orange turd’s recent (say 6 months) antics.

1 Like

I’ve only seen what gets posted on boingboing, so haven’t seen what you’re referring to… What sort of views are they? I’m guessing of the libertarian variety? (just a guess)

I love the Cold Steel exhibition videos. Nothing makes me want a katana like a guy cutting garbage cans in half and stabbing through car hoods.