Can chickpeas and date seeds save you from the looming coffee apocalypse?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/13/chickpea-coffee.html

4 Likes

Looming coffee apocalypse? like in a decade? in 2 decades? No one told the new plantation down the road from me that they’re wasting their time.

10 Likes

I don’t know, I’ve never had a garbanzo bean in my coffee.

3 Likes

calling this category of throwbacks “beanless coffee,” even though in some cases their products contain legumes.

For avoidance of doubt, coffee is not, of course, a legume, despite being called ‘coffee beans’.

8 Likes

Chicory sounds like a much more likely substitute or mix in with coffee to stretch it. As it has been.

But people moving cultivation further north and south over time seems likely as well.

22 Likes

Is this something like the potential end of bananas I’ve heard about?

I don’t like living in interesting times. :frowning:

12 Likes

And chocolate, and…

9 Likes

Because western civilization’s love of coffee is definitely the result of its intrinsically pleasant flavor, and not at all because it happens to be a stimulant. Likewise tea, maté, cocoa, cola, guarana – all just coincidentally with caffeine but easily replaced by substitutes without.

16 Likes

Given that caffeine pills have failed to overwhelm the market, despite attractive pricing at under 20 cents each and exceptionally speedy prep time, it seems reasonable to suspect that there will be continued demand for variously elaborated stimulants.

8 Likes

stay away from my Mormon Tea!

7 Likes

Hopefully it tastes better than Postum.

8 Likes

Yep. As European climates have changed over the centuries people didn’t stop drinking wine. They just gradually shifted the locations of vineyards around the continent. With more recent climate change they’re cultivating grapes in regions that haven’t had significant numbers of vineyards in centuries.

9 Likes

The article seems to be just finding a hook that it can hang the “coffee substitute” article on.

If there is a shortage of coffee, I expect the largest solution will be a switch towards the hardier robusta plants, rather than a widespread uptake of these substitutes.

If coffee prices do take off, then I’d expect to see more countries follow Vietnam, which has turned itself into a major exporter of coffee

17 Likes

oh, yeah! i’m here for Vietnamese coffee!

9 Likes

Currently experimenting with growing Ilex vomitoria or Yaupon holly in my orchard. It is, to my knowledge, the only temperate zone source of caffiene. It came through its first winter alright, so i am encouraged that it’ll work here (zone 7a). Might be an extraordinarily valuable crop, eh?

10 Likes

The vomitoria part doesn’t bode well. Have you tried it?

13 Likes

Home - FRINJ Coffee.

FRINJ Coffee pioneered coffee grown commercially on the US mainland in California. With our integrated coffee value chain that starts with an innovative coffee breeding program, grower support network, and sophisticated processing facilities, we produce exceptional quality coffees.

Ranging from Santa Barbara to north of San Diego, our farmers produce over 14 varieties of coffee, including Geisha, Laurina, Caturra Rojo, Catuai Rojo, and Pacamara. Our centralized coffee processing gives us the ability to craft unique nano and micro-lots representing the work of individual farmers, specific varieties, and innovative processing methods. We also have the capacity to produce larger community lots built around flavor profiles.

Still can’t grow it in Pennsylvania.

Also- Puerto Rico was previously known as a top quality coffee producer.

7 Likes

Nope. Apparently it was used in some native ceremonies involving consumption until vomiting. Sounds like fun. You can overdo coffee to the same extent, so not necessarily a deal breaker. Needs to get a good bit bigger before i can try it.

5 Likes

“In other words, we will because we won’t really have a (taster’s) choice. At first it sounds like these companies are (chock full of) nuts, but it’s clear that the future is coming and we’re going to have to adjust our addictions.”

Especially after our coffee stores sank(a) to a new low.

:: ducks ::

Don’t be a fool(gers). You should really Caribou(t) what’s going on.

:: ducks again ::

8 Likes

I really dig the decaf life; I’ve been drinking Pero (and Kaffree Roma) for quite a while. I had a grandfather who did Postum back in the day, but after getting discontinued and revived it’s not the most available.

Related: coffee genetics are apparently complex

4 Likes