Can you keep a dead loved one's skull and/or tattoos?

She’s one of the best on YouTube. I need to ask her if my body can go in the hazardous waste dump if I die from COVID-19. Local hospital never sent me an answer.

If I go from something else, it goes to a reputable body broker. I just tell my shadetree mechanic acquaintances that I’ll be “parted out”.

Legal schmiegal. You want skulls, skin, etc? Dig-em up. Back when I lived near NYU in the old residential Broadway Central Hotel (before it collapsed) a couple of resident bikers said they made their living by grave-robbing. Late members of rival gangs and other tattooed folk were preferred but their spooky clients would buy any good skulls.

1 Like

YEAH, man… FUCK the law and people getting closure from burying their dead loved ones!!! Let’s dig em up to be COOOOLLLLL…!!! /s :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Just to clarify, I’ve never approached grave-robbing myself. Not an archaeologist.

I am adverse to burial practices that prevent a body’s components from returning to the biosphere. Tibetan sky-burial appeals to me more than burial at sea. But I wouldn’t mind my epoxied skeleton adorning a hallway, or my tanned hide hung up on display.

It’s not about YOU until YOU die. YOU don’t get to dictate the burial practices of other people.

2 Likes

An argument can be made (and indeed is being made by those that study burial practices) that a burial is not for the deceased but for those attending, especially the family of the deceased displaying socio-economic status and identities ranging from ethnic to dynastic. So it wouldn’t even be @Hypoxia’s own burial they get to care about.

As for grave robbing: yeah, just… don’t. The dead don’t care but the living very much do. I don’t even want to know what it would feel like to grief for a loved one and then to learn that their remains had been stolen and sold in order to serve as an ornament for someone with too much money and not enough sense.

2 Likes

I’ve had enough people I love die in the past half decade or so that I’m well aware of that, thanks.

Sorry, I didn’t want to bring up old (or fresh) wounds.

Death, especially right now, isn’t an abstract, but a lived reality.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.